Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to allocate header value to detail records

Default How to allocate header value to detail records

I have a transaction header with a tax amount that I want to allocate to the individual line items proportionately based on the value of each line item. For example, the header has a sales tax amount of $4.00. There are three associated line items:
    1 - value = $100
    2 - value = $50
    3 - value = $50

I want to allocate the sales tax to each line as follows:
    1 - $2.00
    2 - $1.00
    3 - $1.00

The only way I can think to do this is to have a first pass which writes everything to a temp table then does lookups to get the tax amount from the header and the total amount of the items ($200).

Is there a way to keep the items in an array and loop through them multiple times without writing to the temp table?

Hi there,

if you can make sure that header records and detail records for a transaction are coming in groups, you could do some scripting, accumulate all transaction rows into an array, then calculate the share of tax for each item, finally write all transaction rows back to the stream.

It can be done using the JavaScript step or UDJC, but since I'm in the midst of creating a Ruby scripting step for Kettle, and for the sole reason of being smug, I'll show how to do it using the Ruby step

Here's the transformation demo, best watched in full screen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeVUs-196hw

If anybody is interested in Ruby scripting for Kettle, check out the current progress on it at GitHub:
    https://github.com/type-exit/Ruby-Scripting-for-Kettle

Cheers

Slawo

lol @ smug

Also... if you think it's feasible to run a persistent perl interpreter with a user-defined perl step, let me know.

Hi jbeal,

I think you can put the idea of java perl interpreter to rest. There are only stale projects around for that.
    If it was feasible there would be something mature around I'm sure.

Cheers

Slawo

Slawo,

Thank you for your response. I didn't expect you to actually build the solution, great service!

Ed

Yeah I poked around and seems the only real persistent perl interpreter is mod_perl, short of really stale projects. Thought about trying to roll one up but it would not be trivial.