Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Text input dialog box bug?

Default Text input dialog box bug?

Name:  text_input.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  28.9 KB

I am on mac osx 10.6.6 using data integration 64 bit version 4.1.0

in the dialog box for the Text Input step

I cannot enable "Pass through fields from previous step" without enabling "Accept filenames from previous step" first..

When I do that, I can't specify the filenames in the Text Input step

I think that the two settings

"Pass through fields from previous step"
    "Accept filenames from previous step"

should be independent of each other?

-joe

No, I think it's fine the way it is. This is intended for folks that want to pass extra information along with the filenames like file size and so on.

But the two actions are not dependent on each other, the documentation does not say how I can specify which field is the filename and which one is a pass through field?

there is some fields from my previous steps that parses the filename from the database along with some meta data that needs to continue on pass the text input step. i don't need / want to pass filename into the text input step (since i hard code the filename) but in order to pass through the other fields, I have to turn this on (which invalidates the hard coded filename)

-joe

for example

if i pass in the path and the file name and the current date from the job to the transformation

I first write some steps to combine the path and file name to make sure the file exists.. then this new "full path" and the current date is passed into the text input step

the text input step (using the named parameter) will open the file read in the rows.. i want to pass the current date with each row together to the next step which writes to the database

should I merge the current date to the stream after the read step?

-joe

You're not making any sense Joe. The "Text File Input" step only accepts filenames as input. At the moment it doesn't use anything else.
    Why would you pass any other data into it? What kind of behavior would you expect? Should it read the file you specified once or for every row? Should the input data be multiplied (Cartesian product) with the text file data perhaps? I'm simply not getting what you try to do.

So yes, join the data in another way after the TFI step.

thanks for the replies..

I think it's my lack of experience that is the problem here.

There is a date parameter passed into the transformation that utlimately has to be inserted as part of the record for the output to table step

so what I wanted to do was parse all the parameters passed in first to see it's all valid before starting the Text Input step.. and pass all the other parameters through it to the database output step

I think what I should do is to join the parameters AFTER the text input step as a cartiean join

-joe