Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Dimension update question (Probably get shot for this one..)

Default Dimension update question (Probably get shot for this one..)

For some reason, I assumed if you used dimension update to update a dim, using "Insert" mode, if you didnt specify every column from the dimension, and it was an update, then it would populate them with the previous version of the dimension.

Clearly it doesnt!

Would it make sense to do this?

My use case; When records are deleted - i just want to update a single status column on the dimension (well insert a new record) and i want all the other fields to remain the same. I can't do this as part of my normal dimension update transform, or rather dont want to for interest of keeping the transforms simple. There's another case too - when i'm processing data from another source and updating the odd dimension here and there - again i dont have all the dimension data in order to insert the new row - yet the step DOES have it...

Mmm, the step would need to know about these columns to make sure you're not disturbing any auto-populated-trigger-like-columns. So you're saying that for some columns you would have no input and a flag saying "data from dimension" (or something like that).
    Sounds like a great feature request.

good point! I'll put a jira in then. Thanks for confirming my sanity

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-5450
    Last edited by codek; 03-04-2011 at 03:48 AM.