Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Unable to load multiple excel files to one excel file

Default Unable to load multiple excel files to one excel file

hi,

I am using an Excel Input Step to load the multiple excel files. My requirement is merging all columns which are present on each Excel File and getting a new Excel Sheet with all the columns. Can anybody tell the complete procedure to do that?? Please don't mind if this is very simple task. I am using Excel Writer Plugin Step as output in the attached .ktr file and its fails. I used simple Excel Output File Step earlier to load the data but that was failing too. Please suggest.

Regards,
    Ashish Rawat
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ashish.rawat; 03-14-2011 at 05:10 AM.

Hi Ashish,

I've attached a sample that works for me.
    If you'd like the nice colors and everything, you can use a template file

Cheers

Slawo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Thanks

Thanks Slawo..its a great help..working fine

hi salwo,

Although it is working fine. Some questions are still running on my mind. 1) Can we use only one Excel Input Step to add multiple Excel Files as it will be more complex in case I apply the same logic to more than three files? I have 20 excel files in a category/domain and I want same output. 2) Instead of adding new columns from each excel file in a single worksheet can we add these columns in different worksheets?

Thanks & Regards,
    Ashish

Default Can't we use instance?

hi,

Now I got a workaround to satisfy question 2) Instead of adding new columns from each excel file in a single worksheet can we add these columns in different worksheets?

workaround: we can do so by creating separate transformation for each worksheet (of the same output file) which we need to create and run sententially in a job.

Is that the only solution???? Can't we use the same file as different instance/copy of the same output file in a single transforamtion? It is very much feasible in Datastage and Informatica.

Regards,
    Ashish

This discussion has been moved to PDI Forum. Please click the below link to get newer threads on this discussion:

http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...one-excel-file

Thanks and Regards,
    Ashish Rawat