Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: LucidDB and Combination lookup/update and Update issues

Default LucidDB and Combination lookup/update and Update issues

I'm currently evaluating LucidDB to be used as the DB for the reporting/OLAP data, as hundreds of millions of rows doesn't quite work in MySQL.

When using the Combination lookup/update in my ETL, if I have a varchar field as one of the lookup fields the prepared statement which is procduced, looks like this:
    INFO: SELECT CONTENT_ID
    FROM WAREHOUSE.ITHAKAPUBLICCONTENT
    WHERE ( ( FILENAME = ? ) OR ( FILENAME IS NULL AND ? IS NULL ) )
    AND ( ( URI = ? ) OR ( URI IS NULL AND ? IS NULL ) )

When the statement is executed, it will fail with the error:
    Value 'Dan.Greenstein.pdf' cannot be converted to parameter of type BOOLEAN

On using Update, the prepare statement fails with an error like this (both parameters are varchars):
    INFO: UPDATE WAREHOUSE.LASTPROCESSEDLOGDATE
    SET LASTDATE = ?
    WHERE ( ( FILETOREAD = ? ) )
    Mar 17, 2011 10:04:17 AM org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException <init>
    SEVERE: org.eigenbase.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException: Illegal use of dynamic parameter
    Mar 17, 2011 10:04:17 AM org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseException <init>
    SEVERE: org.eigenbase.util.EigenbaseContextException: At line 2, column 16

I can work around the first issue by doing an insert/update and then a lookup, not sure how to work around the second yet. I would like to know what the actual issue could be.

Hey kakiser56,

I've raised the issue with the LucidDB guys a while back and there's already a fix for it in LucidDB.
    http://issues.eigenbase.org/browse/LDB-240

The fix will be part of the next release.

It seems this issue could also be mitigated on Kettle's side if the query would read something like:

... ( ( URI = ? ) OR ( URI IS NULL AND CAST(? AS VARCHAR) IS NULL ) ) i.e. if the check for null would happen on a typed parameter. Lucid currently assumes BOOLEAN when nothing is given, which fails if the bound argument value happens to not be a boolean.
    If you've got free time on your hands, feel free to hack that into Kettle and see how you fare

Hope the above made some sense..

Cheers

Slawo

Thanks, as long as it is a known issue, I'll be waiting for the next release as it also fixes an issue with the Workbench. I don't like making cubes by hand!