Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: "Out of memory" on dummy job with Repeat enabled

Default "Out of memory" on dummy job with Repeat enabled

Hi,

I have a simple dummy Job with a simple dummy transform that does nothing. All I do is repeat the transform on the Job Start. Spoon and Kitchen eventually run out of memory on the heap. This makes me believe that kettle does not clean up the transform memory each time a transform is called from the Job if the job is repeating.

Is there a way to release the created transforms in a job when repeating, or to at least reuse the transform instance at a minimum? I created this simple job to prove the point. I have a lot more complex Job that repeats with about 5 transforms in it and it also crashes eventually.

Alternatively, is there a way to loop through a process at a job level, calling the same transform without recreating the transform

Thanks
    Des

DummyTest.kjb
    DummyXform.ktr

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody could have a look at this please? This is currently a big problem and is influencing our decision to use Pentaho or not. If PDI cannot maintain memory leaks, then this is going to be a big problem.

Is the issue with the architecture or simply the "repeating" option on a Job start? Is there another way to repeat the transforms in a job without constantly creating new instances of them?

Thanks
    Des

Hey Des,

there were some issues related to memory leaks, but they were addressed afaik. Please check with the latest 4.1.3 snapshot here: http://ci.pentaho.com/view/Data%20In...1-SNAPSHOT.zip

Cheers

Slawo

The "Memory leak" in this case is caused by the logging back-end.
    I actually reproduced in in 4.1.3 and 4.2.0-M1.
    The solution for 4.2.0 is to run kitchen with the maxloglines option set.

For some weird reason the KETTLE_MAX_LOG_SIZE_IN_LINES property is not picked up as I expected.

Matt, Slawo

Thanks for the responses. I will try kitchen with the log lines option.

It there an bug report or ETA on the KETTLE_MAX_LOG_SIZE_IN_LINES issue?

Thanks
    Des

Matt,

That seemed to do the trick, even on 4.1.

./kitchen.sh -version
    INFO 23-03 23:05:25,968 - Using "/var/folders/M4/M4QLZ99AHsuKdGVnliVao++++TI/-Tmp-/vfs_cache" as temporary files store.
    INFO 23-03 23:05:27,446 - Kitchen - Kettle version 4.1.0-stable, build 14410, build date : 2010-11-16 16.43.28

The command I used was

./kitchen.sh -file /Users/des/MyJob.kjb -option maxloglines=1

Never ran out of mem

Please let me know when this could be fixed

Thanks
    Des