Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: An error occurred while saving the transformation - NullPointerException

Default An error occurred while saving the transformation - NullPointerException

Hi,

For some reasons, I cannot save any of my transformations anymore in the repository.

It happened after I tried to setup the connection and table for transformation logs in settings. I removed the code but it won't work anymore.

Now if I open any transformation and click, it gets corrupted and starts throwing the same error.

I exported the transformations and re-imported.
    I created a new repository and re-imported one tranformation... no success.

Please any idea?

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:350)
    at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialog.run(ProgressMonitorDialog.java:495)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.dialog.SaveProgressDialog.open(SaveProgressDialog.java:85)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.saveToRepository(Spoon.java:4292)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.saveToRepository(Spoon.java:4151)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.saveToFile(Spoon.java:4122)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.saveFile(Spoon.java:4101)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulDomContainer.invoke(AbstractXulDomContainer.java:329)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulComponent.invoke(AbstractXulComponent.java:135)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulComponent.invoke(AbstractXulComponent.java:123)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.swt.tags.SwtToolbarbutton.access$100(SwtToolbarbutton.java:36)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.swt.tags.SwtToolbarbutton$1.widgetSelected(SwtToolbarbutton.java:83)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1161)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:6725)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:545)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:134)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:115)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
    at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.kdr.delegates.KettleDatabaseRepositoryConnectionDelegate.getOneRow(KettleDatabaseRepositoryConnectionDelegate.java:1647)
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.kdr.KettleDatabaseRepository.getStepDatabase(KettleDatabaseRepository.java:891)
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.kdr.KettleDatabaseRepository.insertStepDatabase(KettleDatabaseRepository.java:547)
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.kdr.delegates.KettleDatabaseRepositoryTransDelegate.insertTransformation(KettleDatabaseRepositoryTransDelegate.java:1119)
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.kdr.delegates.KettleDatabaseRepositoryTransDelegate.saveTransformation(KettleDatabaseRepositoryTransDelegate.java:227)
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.kdr.KettleDatabaseRepository.save(KettleDatabaseRepository.java:327)
    at org.pentaho.di.repository.kdr.KettleDatabaseRepository.save(KettleDatabaseRepository.java:308)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.dialog.SaveProgressDialog$1.run(SaveProgressDialog.java:73)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:113)

Ok. Ignore this post. I forgot that I also played with KETTLE variables and the erroneous log settings kept coming back from the variables.

I did not clue in because it did not show the variable names in the settings\Logging of the transformations. '

Once I cleaned up the KETTLE variables, I was able to save again.

Still learning ... bed time.