Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: RSS Input tranform

Post RSS Input tranform

Hello-

I've been using the RSS Feeb parser for quite some time now and it seems to work fine, but every now and then the transformation fails because of something with the RSS feed, like below

Code:
    ERROR 07-04 05:00:51,795 - Feed Parser - it.sauronsoftware.feed4j.FeedXMLParseException: org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 9 of document http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/rss/clinicaltrials.xml : Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence. Nested exception: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
    Since it's unpredictable how the RSS feed will respond every time it runs, I need away to ignore RSS Input failures and continue running he job without stopping.

I tried using the Define error handling feature and enabled error handling but it's not working and I don't know if I'm doing the right things...

Hi

please if you face any issue, do not hesitate to log a bug.

Thanks

Samatar
    Samatar

what does that mean? Are you saying that this is a bug?

harraz do you believe that it is a periodic problem with the RSS feed itself then? (and not the code processing it)

Regards,
    Jeremy

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jbeal View Post
    harraz do you believe that it is a periodic problem with the RSS feed itself then? (and not the code processing it)

Regards,
    Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy-

It seems to be related to the feed(s) not the RSS Input step; this morning I got another error, see below: this time it's because the source did not respond, that tells me it's not a bug with the RSS Input.

Is there a way or option to ignore and bypass this error without failing the transformation. Basically I need the transformation to continue running even with this error, sounds like error handling but I couldn't make it work that way, it keeps failing.

Code:
    ERROR 08-04 06:00:50,283 - Feed Parser - it.sauronsoftware.feed4j.FeedXMLParseException: org.dom4j.DocumentException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://enterprisepost.com/biomed/search/boniva/feed/rss2/ Nested exception: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://enterprisepost.com/biomed/search/boniva/feed/rss2/
    it.sauronsoftware.feed4j.FeedParser.parse(FeedParser.java:53)
    org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.rssinput.RssInput.readNextUrl(RssInput.java:132)
    org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.rssinput.RssInput.getOneRow(RssInput.java:160)
    org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.rssinput.RssInput.processRow(RssInput.java:301)
    org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:40)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

Default +1

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?