Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDI table input step problems with daylight saving time !!??

Default PDI table input step problems with daylight saving time !!??

Hi all,

I've got a mysterious problem with my table input step in PDI 3.2 (verified also in 4.1).

The times between 02:00 and 03:00 on 27.03.2011 appears in PDI one hour earlier !?!?!

I do a simple query on a table (<select.txt>).
    You can see the result of the table input preview in <PDI_table_input_preview.txt>
    This result set is ordered on column rda_timestamp. But the times between 2 and 3 have lost one hour. They are in the right order but have times between 1 and 2 !?
    Same result set in an Excel file (records are marked) <PDI_Table_Input_Result.xls> .
    The result of the query, done with a DB-tool (records are marked, too) <DB_SQL_Result.xls>.

Is there something wrong with my configuration (PDI, Oracle DB) ?
    Is there a problem with this step ?

Any hint to solve this problem would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Armin
    Attached Files Attached Files

On that day time was change to summer time. So in many countries there was no time between 02:00 and 03:00. So perhaps this is the reason.

Johan

Hi Johan,

sure, this is the reason.
    but why does this PDI step make 01:04:48 out of 02:04:48.
    I would have expected an conversion to 03:04:48 but not one hour earlier.
    btw. there should be no change of the date and time when I read a date column from an Oracle DB and write it without any conversion in another date column in an Oracle DB. The time is 02:04:48. If I want the local time I do a conversion (as you can see in the query statement).
    It is also very astonishing that the time in the converted column is correct (UTC 02:04:48 is in CEST 04:04:48).

Armin

Just to be clear on this matter: PDI does not change any time. It is delivered like that to us by the JDBC driver in question.
    Searching for Oracle JDBC related help might give you a better idea.

Hi Matt,

I made a query with the same JDBC connection as PDI does (with SQL Developer).
    ==> jdbcracle:thin:@192.xxx.xx.xx:1521:dwh
    The result was correct !

So i exported that rows to Excel an made a "excel input" step in PDI.
    No I get the time 03:04:48 from the source 02:04:48 !!!
    The result of the preview of this step is attached.
    Is there another JDBC to check ?

please help the really confused

Armin
    Attached Files Attached Files

What Johan said above was correct. The time "2011-03-27 02:04:48" is not a legal time in many countries (including mine) because the third hour was skipped from 02 to 03.
    You could obviously consider setting a different time-zone for your computer, your user or even in Kettle. For example, in Kettle you can set the default Java timezone in a job with a JavaScript job entry:
    java.util.TimeZone.setDefault( java.util.TimeZone.getTimeZone("EST") );
    Transformations and jobs executed after that job entry will be using the new time zone.
    Please note that doing so will simply expose a different unavailable hour. If the data in your database is stored in UTC, you can set that too. Just make sure that you know which time-zone the source data is using!

Matt

P.S. I guess Excel really isn't all that smart :-)

So Java does something with my dates.
    The Parameter (java.util.TimeZone.getDefault();) looks like this

sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo[id="Europe/Berlin",offset=3600000,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,transitions=143,lastRule=java.util.SimpleTimeZone[id=Europe/Berlin,offset=3600000,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,startYear=0,startMode=2,startMonth=2,startDay=-1,startDayOfWeek=1,startTime=3600000,startTimeMode=2,endMode=2,endMonth=9,endDay=-1,endDayOfWeek=1,endTime=3600000,endTimeMode=2]]

And this makes something weird with "non-legal" dates.

So I will place a "Modified Java Script Value" - Step on the starting point of my jobs to guarantee correct values for this session. ==> java.util.TimeZone.setDefault(java.util.TimeZone.getTimeZone("UTC"));

thanks for the hints to find the way out of this mystery (but I even do not know why he writes one hour backwards !?!?!) :-)

Armin

I didn't mean the "Modified Java Script Value" step, rather the "JavaScript" job entry and feel free to ignore my other comments as well.

sorry Matt,

I'll place the Java Code in the first job and use the JavaScript job entry.
    And please give me a hint which comments I've ignored ?!

Armin

You need to know in which time-zone the dates are stored in the database. Otherwise you will always see a time-change when you convert to another timezone.