Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: insert/update problems!!!

Question insert/update problems!!!

Hi, I want to compare 2 tables postgres with join lef outter and input the results in a table. Now I have some errors: "duplicate keys valus violate unique constraints". help please

Bhebb

Do you have any CONSTRAINT in your table? It seems that you are trying to insert a repeated value in a column that is defined as PRIMARY KEY.

Yes, I have. primary key!!! I have 2 tables joined, that means if the id(PK) is the same, I want to do a update, in other case I make a insert. It's logical...

Ok. But what happens if you try to insert two rows with the same primary key? It can happen that you have a repeated primary key value in one table and this value does not appear in the other table. In this case, the first time you try to insert the value will work ok but not for the rest.

If this is the cause of your problem you can solve it using "Unique Rows".

You can also upload your transformation because it will be easier to help you.

thx, for ur help. I have to transfer 465 tables from base 1 to Base to with many transformations. That means, There'll be many tables joined... Hope ur help
    Attached Files Attached Files

So I understand that you want to update the value of 'S5_init' with the data of 'S1_init'. You do not have to check 'Don't perform any updates' checkbox, and in the list of 'Update columns' remove 'id'. This is what it says in the Pentaho wiki:

"The Insert/Update step first looks up a row in a table using one or more lookup keys. If the row can't be found, it inserts the row". The lookup key is the id in your case so if it doesn't found it will insert it automatically. You can check this information in the following link:

http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Insert+-+Update

Good luck!!