Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Need Help Connecting to Local Instance of SQL Server

Default Need Help Connecting to Local Instance of SQL Server

I've been having problems connecting to my local instance of SQL Server. I can connect to a remote server fine however. For its configuration, my local SQL Server instance has the default instancename which shows up as null when you query it. It also uses Windows authentication.

I tried making a connection using JDBC. I kept getting generic unable to connect messages. I've tried lots of different permutations. For the Host Name field, I've used my machine's name, the default local IP address, and 'localhost'. I've entered the Windows username/password combo and I've left it blank. I've tried leaving the Instance Name field blank, but anytime I try to save it Pentaho seems to want to fill it in with information from previous connections. I've also tried to use 'MS SQL Server' for the Connection Type as well as 'MS SQL Server (Native)'.

I also created an ODBC connection with its own DSN. The test of the connection for the DSN tests perfectly well. This uses SQL Server Native Client 10.0. When I try to connect I get a generic error message as well, but the Hostname field is null towards the end of the error message.

If anyone can help me sort this out, I would greatly appreciate it. If there is some piece of information I need to add, please let me know.

hello
    i recently had the same problems as yours and solved it by manually editing the table "r_database_attribute" in the kettle repository db
    surely it's not the best way to get it to work, but it worked for me
    specifically, i edited the row with the value "EXTRA_OPTION_MSSQL.instance" by updating the VALUE_STR field with the instance name

Quote Originally Posted by venni82 View Post
    hello
    i recently had the same problems as yours and solved it by manually editing the table "r_database_attribute" in the kettle repository db
    surely it's not the best way to get it to work, but it worked for me
    specifically, i edited the row with the value "EXTRA_OPTION_MSSQL.instance" by updating the VALUE_STR field with the instance name
    Thanks. I don't have a repository db, but I'll see what I can do. But it seems to be the same problem.