Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input Table Step - Problems using Parameter for ODBC DSN Name

Default Input Table Step - Problems using Parameter for ODBC DSN Name

Guys,

My requirement is to dynamically provide the value of "ODBC DSN Source Name" at runtime.

I tried using two different transformations within a job, one using "Set Variables" step to set the value of a variable DSN_NAME and then in second transform, I refer to it within Input Table --> Connection --> (Edit) --> ODBC DSN Source Name = ${DSN_NAME}.

However, it doesn't work.

Any help from you all expert folks would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Pentaho Newbie.

Whats the exact error you are getting?

Hi,

The error message I get is:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name too long.

I guess the variable ${DSN_NAME} is not getting replaced. Am I missing something? I have read through allmost all the post related to this BUT cannot undersatnd why this isn't working.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Are you explicitly passing DSN_NAME into the second transform as a parameter?

Hi,

I am not explicitly passing DSN_NAME as parameter. My scenario is :

I have two transforms:

1. In the first transform, I get the DSN NAME and then do "Set Variables" step to set variable DSN_NAME, with value.
    2. In the second transform, I directly try to access it's value in "Table Input" step - using ${DSN_NAME}, but apparently it doesno t return anything.

Earlier, I tried explicitly passing parameter using "Mapping (sub-transformation)" step in the first transformation and then using "Mapping Input Specification" step in the second transformation. In this case, if I attach "Mapping input specification" to a text file and see the value of DSN_NAME, I can see correct value. However, when I try to use the same variable in "Table Input" step -- Connection ---Edit ---ODBC DSN Source Name, it does not work!

Kindly help.

Thanks for reading.

Can Anyone please help me with this one?

Senior members, kindly suggest.

Thanks.

In the settings for the second transform, add a parameter named DSN_NAME for the transform. In the dialog for widget calling the second transform, pass in parameter DSN_NAME with value ${DSN_NAME}. See if that helps.

Regards,
    Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

I made changes as per your suggestion but it still does not work.

A strange thing I observed though - for the second transform - when I do Edit --> Set Environment Variables (in spoon), I see the variable DSN_NAME there. Then I set the value of DSN_NAME to a hardcoded value. Under such a circumstances when I try to run the second transform, it runs perfectly fine and the Table Input step resolves the value of ${DSN_NAME} correctly. However, when I run the same transform (without any changes ), using the job that has First transform that sets the variable DSN_NAME and then the second transform as above, stragely the second transform fails saying no DSN_NAME.

So the same trasform when run isolated runs perfectly fine BUT when run as a job it fails! I think I might be doing something basic wrong here.

Could you all expert please help.

Thanks,

Perhaps post two sample transforms and a sample job of what you are trying...
    Put all three files in a single zip.

The community is really good at working through sample files and providing feedback.
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

Thanks Gutlez.

Please find attached zip file that contains

Three transform files:
    Step1.ktr --> connects to sybase database to retrieve DSN name/s
    Step2.Ktr --> Sets variable ODBCDSN for each incoing record and executes Step3.ktr
    Step3.Ktr ---> Connects to a Sybase databse pointed by ODBCDSN and extract the data to an excel file.

So my problem statement is - for each record retrieved in Step1.ktr, I want to connect to the corresponding database and extract the contents of given table into an excel file.

So if Step1.ktr retrieves say 20 records, then for each record I want to connect to the corresponding Sybase database and extract the data.

Kindly help.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files