Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Further native tomcat installation woes

Default Further native tomcat installation woes

Hello,

I have followed Prashant Raju's guide for pentaho 3.7 for transplanting pentaho onto ubuntu's tomcat installation. In my case, I am trying to do the same for biserver 3.8.

After I followed Prashant's guide, I got an error saying tomcat was unable to load the mysql java connector. I did the following:
    Code:
    apt-get install libmysql-java
    ln -s /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar /usr/share/tomcat6/lib/mysql-connector-java.jar
    This fixed tomcat not being able to load the mysql connector, but I then saw an error saying "Cannot load JDBC driver class 'org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver'".

I installed ubuntu's hsqldb-java package just to avoid this error.
    Code:
    apt-get install libhsqldb-java
    ln -s /usr/share/java/hsqldb.jar /usr/share/tomcat6/lib/hsqldb.jar
    This brings up an assumption of mine: I understood Prashant's guide was to do away with the need for hsqldb and push any of that into mysql. Was I wrong? Why does it still need hsqldb?

Anyhow, I get the following when I connect to localhost:8080:
    The following errors were detected One or more system listeners failed. These are set in the systemListeners.xml. PentahoSystem.ERROR_0014 - Error while trying to execute startup sequence for org.pentaho.platform.scheduler.QuartzSystemListener
    Please see the server console for more details on each error detected.
    And, in the pentaho.log file, I get the following line:
    org.quartz.JobPersistenceException: Failed to obtain DB connection from data source 'myDS': java.sql.SQLException: Could not retrieve datasource via JNDI url 'java:comp/env/jdbc/Quartz' org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (socket creation error) [See nested exception: java.sql.SQLException: Could not retrieve datasource via JNDI url 'java:comp/env/jdbc/Quartz' org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (socket creation error)]
    I understood that there were two points to Prashant's guide:

1. to transplant pentaho from the biserver-ce-3.x.--stable.tar.gz version to the system's built-in tomcat;
    2. to move pentaho specific settings out of hsqldb into mysql.

One of the Prashant's tasks was to disable the startup of the hsqldb.

I did not mean to leave this line in: my apologies.
    With this in mind, why am i getting the above error regarding hsqldb? For that matter, since I created the quartz database within mysql, why doesn't pentaho use it there?
    Perhaps I am reading the log files incorrectly. Can someone look them over and let me know what you think?

Thanks!

--jason
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jason0; 04-20-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: needed editing!

Jason,

in the error messages I do not see an error relating to HSQL itself... it relates to the JNDI-Datasource "Quartz".
    The settings in question should be found in:
    $biserver/tomcat/webapps/pentaho/META-INF/context.xml

Please have a look if the correct credentials, JDBC-URL, driver-class etc. are written there.
    If yes, try a simple connect with the credentials there via command-line,
    e.g.:
    mysql -u <your_quartz_user> -p

... if such succeeds, we have to investigate further.

Also (not sure if this file is still in use) there is another setting in:
    $biserver/pentaho-solutions/system/simple-jndi
    Just for fun: Set the correct values there, too

Cheers,

Tom

Hello Tom,

You are right about the hsql error. I corrected my post regarding hsqldb: I was complaining there that I even needed to install the ubuntu hsqldb connector when I had (apparently) gotten away from it.

Having said that, I checked the settings in the context.xml file as you suggested. I can connect to mysql without error as the user listed in there for the Quartz database. I also changed the mysql url from "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/quartz" to "jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/quartz" with no change either.

I went and looked at the pentaho-solutions/system/simple-jndi/jdbc.properties: while the usernames and passwords are correct, the urls are hsqldb urls. I will play with that, and let you know...

--jason

Hi Tom,

No apparent change. For grins and giggles, I am rebooting.

--jason

Hi Jason,

I thought you're on ubuntu? So rebooting will have no effect... this is not windows

Hmm... so there must be some more settings which are not correct yet...
    What about the application...*.xml files in the pentaho-solutions/system folder? All set correctly?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I haven't had a chance to check this one out: I am wearing another hat today. I will get back to you soon.

--jason