Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Getting reporting and analysis working with my data

Default Getting reporting and analysis working with my data

I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks now.

It is easy to get the Pentaho CE Server up and running as is with the supplied data in Hypersonic database,
    but I don't see how it is possible to get my own data recognised by the system.

I already have a Mondrian schema MXL working standalone and ready to go, connecting to an Oracle database full of fact and dimension tables.

How do I get that into Pentaho BI Server 3.8?

(Setting up Saiku as a Pentaho plugin was easy by comparison, but Saiku doesn't yet have drill down.)

Also how do I set up regular reporting?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

This is kind of depressing.

I have a project ready to go where my company would love to migrate away from Oracle BI to an open source software, such as Pentaho, but there seems to be no information on how to do it.

It is all well and nice to have a demo, but if you no one can tell prospective users how to set it up with their own data, rather than just the demo, I don't see who is going to use it.
    And I've spent a couple of weeks trying.

Is it really this difficult?

If you have not already done so, copy the oracle jdbc ojdbc14.jar and orai18n.jar files to the following directories
    BI Server --> ./pentaho/server/biserver-ee/tomcat/lib/
    Data Integration Server --> ./pentaho/server/data-integration-server/tomcat/lib/
    BI Server and Data Integration Server --> ./pentaho/server/enterprise-console/jdbc/
    Restart pentaho bi:
    ./pentaho/ctlscript.sh restart

Sign into the enterprise console:
    http://serverurl:8088/
    Navigate to the database connections tab: "Adminstration" --> "Database Connections" and hit the plus sign
    Driver Class: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
    URL: jdbc.oracle.thin@server:dbport:databasename

Click "Test" to validate your entries
    Click "Update" to save them to the server

Sign into Pentaho User Console as an admin user:
    http://serverurl:8080/pentaho
    Navigate through the menu to "File" --> "Manage" --> "Data Sources..." and click the green plus sign to add a new data source
    (Or click the big icon on the central canvase labeled "New Data Source"
    Select "Database" from the "Source Type" drop down. I am fuzzy on this, but your previously created connection should be there.
    (You can also click on this page's green plus sign and enter basically the same information as on the admin console, but this seems less stable.)
    Select your connection, enter a "Data Source Name" (or the UI will not let you test things) and type in an "SQL Query:".
    Click "Data Preview" to see some results.
    Click Finish and you have a datasource available for anyone signed into the user console to create Analyzer reports from.

You can also do the much more interesting Meta-Data editor publishing route. But try this easy way first.

Excellent. This has got me started.

The crucial point was that a data source has to be set up with the Oracle drivers in the Pentaho Administrator and then to use that data source to publish the XML cube schema from Schema Designer to the BI Server.

Next stop Report Designer and try out Meta-Data Editor.

Glad to help.