Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Newbie Question on Publishing Schema

Default Newbie Question on Publishing Schema

I've installed BI Server on a remote CentOS Linux server and on it I have a mysql database with star schema already built. I also have successfully installed Schema Workbench on my Windows laptop and can access my remote server and have created a cube schema.

I'm now trying to "publish" my cube schema and getting an error "Publish failed, please see server logs for further details." know I must be missing some steps somewhere and after reading sever sources (forums, wiki, Pentaho Solutions by John Wiley & Sons, etc.) I'm stumped. I thought I might need to create a repository on the server before I could publish my schema, so I installed Design Studio (I'm not sure if this is correct or not). Design Studio stumped me...I couldn't see a way to connect to my server to create the repository, it seemed it was a local tool only.

What I'm ultimately after is to be able to build and navigate a cube for analysis. If I understand the Pentaho architecture correctly, after I build my schema I need to publish it before I can access it with a client tool for analysis (I hope this is correct??) and to publish it I might need a solutions repository to publish it to. Is this all correct?

Needless to say, I'm a little confused what I'm supposed to do at this point to view and "analyze" my cube and am looking for pointers.

What is the quickest way and method for getting my existing cube schema where it needs to be so I can view it for analysis with one of the client options (e.g. jpivot)?
    And as far as Design Studio goes, do I need it to create a repository on the server and can I do it remotely (any instructions)? Do I even need to create a repository in order to publish/view my cube?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,
    in order to publish content on the bi-server you should edit the following xml file

../biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/publisher_config.xml

Code:
    <publisher-config> 
        <publisher-password>yourpassword</publisher-password> 
    </publisher-config>
    Then you can use yourpassword within the workbench.

Regards
    Andrea Torre
    twitter: @andtorg

join the community on ##pentaho - a freenode irc channel

I should have mentioned I had already set the publisher password. I tried it with an incorrect passord and I get the error "invalid password" which is a different error message, so I'm assuming my password is configured ok.

Are there any other pre-publishing steps I could be missing? Would the logs help...where are they?

Thanks.

I assumed you restarted the server after editing publisher_config.xml.
    Anyway, tomcat logs are at ../biserver-ce/tomcat/logs; look into catalina.out

Check also you have write permissions on the file ../biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/olap/datasource.xml. This file is edited whenever a new olap schema is published.

As pre-condition to use your data on bi-server you have to configure your datasource (jdbc or jndi). Please read this wiki

HTH
    Regards
    Andrea Torre
    twitter: @andtorg

join the community on ##pentaho - a freenode irc channel

server had been restarted after password reset - and I believe having logged in already the password is good
    tomcat log catalina.out is not recording anything about my error - my Schema Workbench error message says to check the logs, but tomcat does not appear to be capturing anything on the error.
    configure datasource - I have a configured datasource and am using it in Schem Workbench to create my cube schema, I have verified the schema and datasource by executing an MDX query from Schema Workbench so I believe the datasource should not be a problem.

So, so no further progress on this, unfortunately.

I'm running Schema Workbench from a remote Windows laptop and trying to publish to a linux server. I installed "BI Server" as root...could that be causing a problem?
    I don't fully understand if I need to have a "./biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions" solution directory already created before publishing or the publishing act creates one for me when I publish my cube schema from Schema Workbench. Do I need to create a solution directory first, and how would I do that?
    Within the "Publish Schema" screen (attached as screen capture) it asks for "Location" and "Pentaho or JNDI Data Source", but I'm not sure I'm populating them correctly.

With "Location" adding an name does nothing, and clicking "Create New Folder" and enterring a name does nothing. Should I be enterring a new name for location, or should a location already exist?

With "Pentaho or JNDI Data Source" I'm enterring the datasource name I created in the Admin Console. Is this the correct one to use, or should it be some other reference?

Name:  schema_workbench_error.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  28.8 KB

Nevermind...

I did a re-install and a little trouble-shooting and figured out a few things that I should have picked up on my own!