Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Table Dim (my dimension table) is invalid trying to get simple functionality to work

Default Table Dim (my dimension table) is invalid trying to get simple functionality to work

I am trying to test Mondrian’s functionality with a very bare bones dimensional model, consisting of one dimension table (Subscriber related information) and one fact table (Clicks for those subscribers by month by date). In the 2 tables below, There is a foreign key relationship between DimSubscriber_Key in Fact to Dim_PK in Dim.
    Fact: Month int(2), year int(4), Subscriber_id int(11),ClickCount int(5),DimSubscriber_Key
    Dim: Id (int11),Origin varchar(255),CreatedDate datetime,UnsubscribedDate datetime, token1 varchar(50),token2 varchar(50),SourceType varchar(20),TrafficType varchar(20), Edition varchar(50),zipCode int(11),Dim_PK, int(11), AB_Segment int(4)
    Here's what i do, in parentheses are the warnings/errors in red that follow after each step:

Add Cube (Fact Name must be set)
    Right click Cube, Add Table, Select the Table Fact from the dropdown (Schema must be set)
    Right click Schema Add Dimension Heirararchy (New hierarchy 0 is invalid)
    Right Click Heirarchy, Add Table (At least one level must be set for Hierarchy)
    Add Level , Right click Table, Select Dim from the dropdown (Column must be set)
    Select Column (Select the surrogate key Dim_PK from the dropdown, is this correct? is the surrogate key the correct 'member identifier for this level'? (Bouman and Dongen p 474))
    At this point I get the message, Table Dim is invalid. What does this mean?
    Last edited by gnackenson; 08-26-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Default I have the same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by gnackenson View Post
    I am trying to test Mondrian’s functionality with a very bare bones dimensional model, consisting of one dimension table (Subscriber related information) and one fact table (Clicks for those subscribers by month by date). In the 2 tables below, There is a foreign key relationship between DimSubscriber_Key in Fact to Dim_PK in Dim.
    Fact: Month int(2), year int(4), Subscriber_id int(11),ClickCount int(5),DimSubscriber_Key
    Dim: Id (int11),Origin varchar(255),CreatedDate datetime,UnsubscribedDate datetime, token1 varchar(50),token2 varchar(50),SourceType varchar(20),TrafficType varchar(20), Edition varchar(50),zipCode int(11),Dim_PK, int(11), AB_Segment int(4)
    Here's what i do, in parentheses are the warnings/errors in red that follow after each step:

Add Cube (Fact Name must be set)
    Right click Cube, Add Table, Select the Table Fact from the dropdown (Schema must be set)
    Right click Schema Add Dimension Heirararchy (New hierarchy 0 is invalid)
    Right Click Heirarchy, Add Table (At least one level must be set for Hierarchy)
    Add Level , Right click Table, Select Dim from the dropdown (Column must be set)
    Select Column (Select the surrogate key Dim_PK from the dropdown, is this correct? is the surrogate key the correct 'member identifier for this level'? (Bouman and Dongen p 474))
    At this point I get the message, Table Dim is invalid. What does this mean?

Hi all!,
    I have the same problem!
    When i try to add a cube I immediately get the error: "Fact Name must be set", what does it mean?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by tonio.db@hotmail.it View Post
    When i try to add a cube I immediately get the error: "Fact Name must be set", what does it mean?
    You need to set the fact table. Right click on the cube, select 'Add table', and then on the table node specify the name.