Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Spoon won't release Excel file

Unhappy Spoon won't release Excel file

This is giving a flat forehead from beating on the desk. I am using PDI 4.1.0, Win XP SP3:

I have a job which runs a number of transformations which extract data from a MySQL database, then exports them as excel spreadsheets. At the end of the job, I need to rename the beginning of the file with the release date.( It would not be a problem if the date could be at the end, but alas, it cannot.) All of the transformations run correctly, and then the batch rename takes place. All of the files except 1 are renamed. The holdout is being held in a open state by Spoon. If I try to open it in Excel, I get a message that it is open and offers to let me look in Read Only mode. The only way I have found to get it to release is to close Spoon. I have gone so far as to delete and rewrite the transformation, no luck. Adding a wait for file step between the transformations and the rename does not appear to help. Adding an additional step after writing the file in the transform does not help either. I have also changed the order of the transformations so that the problem one is run before others.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds like it may be a bug, worth reporting in the JIRA.

Just a guess, but to work around it, could you arrange the job so that the last thing it does is writes to a dummy workbook in a location you don't care about, and hopefully releasing the lock on the workbook which you do need to rename ?

Cheers,
    Paul

Which transformation step are you using to output to Excel?

@Paul- I have tried to write to another file, changed the order that they are written in, changed the file name. The job generates about 20+ files, there just seems to be one that Spoon won't let go of.

@khelms- I am using the standard Excel Output step in PDI.

Pat

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-4265

Fixed in 4.1.1 (and of-course 4.2.0 stable)

Thanks, Matt.

Love PDI, it has made my life soooo much easier. 40+ operational steps to just one click!