Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI 4.2 HL7 Input - how to use?

Default PDI 4.2 HL7 Input - how to use?

Hi,

I downloaded PDI 4.2 stable and am trying to use HL7 Input step. I can't figure out how to use that. I am having a HL7 file I need to process this file data into individual components and load a table with that.

Can I use the HL7 Input step to do that? If yes, can you please tell me how to go about it?

Thanks!

You need to load the HL7 message into a field, for example with the "Load content of file in memory" step.
    The output of the "HL7 Input" step will then contain multiple output rows per message. You can then filter out the data you need and/or de-normalize the data onto a single row again.

Matt,

Awesome .. thanks for your help, made my day!

Matt,

Thanks for your help.

I am able to use the HL7 Input step and load the data. One thing I noticed is that the data is not getting correct field descriptions.

I am looking to process a sample HL7 v2.4 DFT-P03 message. I see that the 'field description' and 'value' do not correspond in some cases.

For example, for segment PV1 Sequence 7 (Attending Doctor), the field description should be "Doctor ID, Last Name, First Name" but it is being output as "family name, ID number, family name".

Can you please advice on a possible fix or if something can be set to get the correct field description - value map.

Thanks!

There reason can be either that there is a problem in the core library HL7API (pronounced "happy" :-)) or that the messages you're getting are deviating from the "standard" a bit.
    I think there's a 50/50 chance for either to be true.

In any case, the descriptions are just information that I added to the rows to help try to make some sense of the output. It's up to you to decide if it's worth anything.

Anyway, if you feel strong about it, file a JIRA case. If more than one person sees the same issue we'll pick it up and/or bring it to the HL7API project.

Good luck,

Matt

Default HL7 MLLP Sender

Hello everybody
    I've been studying about the HL7 inputs and HL7 MLLP. So it came to me a question:
    Is there MLLP sender? Or only MLLP Input?
    If not, is the output intended to be created?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by gabrielmendes; 10-18-2011 at 09:12 AM.

We don't have the ability to create (HL7 Output) and serve up (MLLP Server) HL7 messages.
    If there is a specific need, perhaps we can create HL7 messages using templates or something like that. In any case it's going to be tricky.
    If you can come up with a specific use-case we would love to hear about it.

The MLLP sender usage is supposed to be pretty simple.
    In my specific case, I would need an MLLP sender because, as I work in the Integration sector for a Healthcare Company, I need to process hl7 messages (generated by me or not) and send the response by MLLP to the remote host who I'm integrating with.
    A full HL7 message (not field by field, but the whole template) is sent to a remote host adress, who's waiting for a message in a specific port.
    When the local sender (in this case, me) sends the message, waits for an ACK. When the ACK is received, it succeeds.
    If it fails ( Receives a NAK or reaches a timeout waiting for the ACK), it fails.
    It's only needed to be set up the remote host adress/port and the timeout for ACK (and if the ACK is going to be waited or not)

Talking about NAK, is the HL7 ACK sender able to send a NAK in case of failure?
    Last edited by gabrielmendes; 10-20-2011 at 09:06 AM.

I was told the NAK is over the top since it's expected if you don't send an ACK :-)

Well, it depends on the sender timeout. If it is too brief, a simple network slowness can make processed messages by the receiver be treated as an error.
    By creating the NAK message, it guarantees to the sender that there was an error on the sent message. Moreover, a description of the error can be added to the NAK messages, making it easier for the sender to know where is the root of the problem, easing the communication.
    Its pretty simple to implement

ACK message:
    MSH|^~\&|||||||ACK||P|2.3.1||||||8859/1
    MSA|AA|1234|OK

NAK messages:
    MSA|AE|1234|ERROR

MSA|AR|1234|MESSAGE REJECTED

OK, why don't you create a few JIRA cases for all the HL7 functionality you need.
    All in all these things are fairly easy to implement using HL7API.

Thanks for your support, Matt! I really appreciate
    I created both JIRA cases:
    NAK: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-6894
    MLLP Sender: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-6895
    If you might, please take a look at both
    Last edited by gabrielmendes; 10-21-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Dear Members!

I have to learn and use Pentaho as fast I can.
    We are working on healthcare databases and ny leaders are happy to hear about HL7 tools in Pentaho, but I need one or two example(s).
    If somebody can spend time to create for me I'd like to say thank you!
    Exapmle(s):
    a.) Standalone HL7 Input from file (Load File into memory ?) --> My problem is: I gave "ADT^A01" into "message" input field, but that is wrong.
    b.) JOB+Transformation: Sender+Receiver + extractor Transformation (In my case don't need to send ACK/NACK at the first time)

Please prepare a downloadable package or send it to me!

Thank you !
    ltorok/ László Török

Quote Originally Posted by etldw View Post
    Hi,

I downloaded PDI 4.2 stable and am trying to use HL7 Input step. I can't figure out how to use that. I am having a HL7 file I need to process this file data into individual components and load a table with that.

Can I use the HL7 Input step to do that? If yes, can you please tell me how to go about it?

Thanks!

ehm... sounds like you're asking quite a favor...

if you had a sample file for us, maybe somebody would be willing to do a) for you.

Cheers
    Slawo

Dear Slawo,

I could find my solution, but unfortunetly I have several other tasks.
    I'm re-beginer because I'm alone with pentaho at this moment here, but we're looking forward a treaning.

Thank you for your answer.

I know, the HL7 example is a special question because the humen rights, so without samle data the examples cannot be so effective.

The "for each" missing for me or I have to find my pentaho's right way.

Bye.
    ltorok

Is it possible to get the values if segments like NK1 repeats within a single message?.If so let me know the procedure.

Thanks!