Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Preview and process excel file

Default Preview and process excel file

Hello Everyone,

I have attached excel file with all the data. Basically I want to take data from worksheet labeled "Excel" and put into SQL table, which I described on worksheet labeled "Database" (it requires populating data column and deleting record with product code starting with A.)

I am new to PDI and therefore I would greatly appreciate if somebody directs me to the relevant resources.

I already searched on Wiki page and forum, but have not found much.

What I have done so far: Downloaded pdi-ce-4.2.0-stable.zip, unzipped it and launched Spoon.bat, did not create any repositories, created transformation, dragged Microsoft Excel Input, but somehow in edit step I cannot preview the spreadsheet.

I realized that my post is too long, if anybody could just tell me why I cannot preview excel spreadsheet while editing step, I would greatly appreciate.

Regards,
    Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi alex,
    probably you missed some configuring steps. Maybe the one related to starting row. Anyway I attached a .ktr example using your excel file, so that you can find out what's wrong with your configuration . You only need to change the file path.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrea Torre
    twitter: @andtorg

join the community on ##pentaho - a freenode irc channel

Thank you Andrea! You were right I forgot to specify starting row.

I also notice that PDI does not support .xlsx files. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Alex

On the content tab, you can switch to POI which supports xlsx

Excellent, Thank you!

Hi gutlez,

One quick question on .xls and .xlsx. I have two types of file in the folder: .xls and xlsx I wonder if I could process them all at once like we talked in the other thread? (similar to http://www.cloud2land.com/2011/06/pe...es/#comment-88)

Regards,
    Alex

Hi Alex.
    If you have 2 different file type, I think that you can process them using 2 different Microsoft Excel Input, one for xls, the other for xlsx.
    If those files contains the same data you can merge the 2 streams simply creatinh hops from those 2 Microsoft Excel Input Steps into another step.

Mick

Thank you, Mick! Let me think about it and try it!

Regards,
    Alex

If you are looping through the files, you would likely need to do different loops...
    Again it would take a bit of work to get there, but it should be possible to get this working the way you want