Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Read file into a field

Default Read file into a field

Hi,

I want to read all the contents of a local file (it's a loose html file in filename.txt plain text format) into a field or column. The final purpose is to store the contents of the file in a database column and also to clean up the HTML at a later point. I cannot use Web Client as the file is not on any web server.

How can I achieve the above? I looked on Google and this forum and could not find anything. May be I am not using the correct keywords. Any pointer will help me. I'm using PDI 4 RC1.

Thanks.
    Sean

1. use text file input step
    2. use concatenate lines step

Lightbulb

Hi psm2000,

You can use the "Load file content into memory" step to accomplish this. By using this step , you can load the File contents, File size and any other relevant fields (like path, file name, etc.) in to separate fields in your transformation.
    I've supplied a very simple sample transformation and HTML-file to show you how this can be accomplished.

Best Regards
    Andreas Wikell
    Netlight Consulting AB
    Attached Files Attached Files

Andreas,
    Thank you for pointing me to the correct input step. I tried the sample and it is going to work well for my needs.

framaba,
    The other idea about concatenation will not work for my situation as I need to keep the newline characters etc. intact.

Thank you!
    Sean