Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Auto arrange???

Default Auto arrange???

Hi,
    Is there any option to auto arrange steps??

Sometimes forum posts can be as cryptic as The Da Vinci Code, but they are useful to keep brains young and clever.
    Anyway, a little hint? Arranging them on the canvas, perhaps?
    Andrea Torre
    twitter: @andtorg

join the community on ##pentaho - a freenode irc channel

You have it. Select a few steps then right click and you get that option (Align/Distribute)! What else do you need?

S.
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku

Well, I once started to implement a force directed graph algorithm for automatic layouting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed_graph

Perhaps this is what was meant by the GP poster?

Perhaps he's referring to auto-aligning the steps? If this is the case, all you need to do is select the steps you wish to align, then do a ctrl+up/down/left/right to align the steps as you wish.

I have got some PDI XML files which i import and use.. While i import, i can see that many steps are placed one over the other. Everytime i need to drag these steps and arrange to make it look good on the canvas.. So i was searching for some auto arrange options.. The options given by you helps me a lot.. But i m still searching for some other options, which can identify the steps which are placed one over the other and align them..Thanks a lot for ur help.

They are probably transformations that were generated using an API of some sorts. For those situations a force directed graph algorithm would work wonders. (and is really cool to see rendered :-))