Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Not getting the precision I need from formula

Default Not getting the precision I need from formula

I'm using a formula step. Both of the numbers are coming in as bignumbers with a mask to multiple decimal places. This is the formula.

IF ([lastsalesytd] = 0;0.00;(([lastsalesytd] - [lastcostytd]) / [lastsalesytd] ) )

No matter what I do I can't get the result in either bignumber format or it won't show 2 decimal places on calculation.

Any thoughts?

Is this with Preview, or with an output?

If it's preview, put a text file output where you want to preview and then run your transform. Check what the output in the text file is. Preview doesn't always get number formats right.

It's with output. I saw a bug about that, but it's coming over in mysql as say 21.2 instead of 21.24.

do an explain for the table you are querying from.
    see what data type is it.

Also, perhaps you could insert a select values step and alter its meta-data? Let us know.

I'm pulling data from an openedge/progress database.

My transformation consist of

Table input -> Formula -> Join ID -> exec Script

The formula for computing the field in question is

IF ([lastsalesytd] = 0;0.00;(([lastsalesytd] - [lastcostytd]) / [lastsalesytd] ) )

In the table input, if i look directly at database, it says lastsalesytd type real and lastcostytd is type real.

Pulling the info directly from the database, I get

lastsalesytd = 10557.80
    lastcostytd = 7196.12

If I show output fields in spoon from the table, it shows them both as big numbers.

It gets run through that formula.

If I look in mysql for that record, I get

lastsalesytd = 10557.8

and the math on this | ([lastsalesytd] - [lastcostytd]) / [lastsalesytd] ) | results in

I've tried some different combinations in the formula, tried to change data type, nothing resulted in a precision of 2.

Any one have an idea?

Hi.
    I would test the same calculation using a Modified Java script.

Mick

Internally our OpenFormula library works with a very high precision (10^-40). We deliver the result back as BigDecimal with that precision and Kettle then transforms that result into whatever data-format you specified as result. So changing the formula has no effect, as the maximum precision is used already - tweak your formula step.
    It has fields for length and precision on the fields-table.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.