Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: CDF Chart with Real Time Data (without refresh whole Chart)

Default CDF Chart with Real Time Data (without refresh whole Chart)

Hi

i'm using CDF to create a dashboard with few chart.
    The data for the chart is realtime (using refresh period).
    I have removed Dashboards.showProgressIndicator(); from Dashboards.js.

after few second the chart start to refresh and the whole chart is reloaded.

is there any solution to make the dashboard to only refresh the data in the chart rather than refresh the whole chart?

Thanks for any help.

I don't think i completely follow what you mean, so i'm assuming you want to reload only the chart, and not the whole dashboard. If this is the case, you can call the dashboard function Dashboards.update(object) to refresh your chart. If the object is not directly available from the dashboard, you can get it with Dashboards.getComponent("name").
    Last edited by rmata; 10-20-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks for your reply.

I have made a dashboard with about 8 chart on it.
    I want the chart to be like stock chart(real-time data streaming), which the chart point will change base on the data.
    The problem i encounter is after set the refresh rate each chart keep disappear and appear again(each chart reloaded one by one).
    Is there any solution to make it like stack chart? When new data retrieved, only the point in the chart is changing, not the chart is reloaded.

I found in few source that mention pentaho CDF is convert the chart into a image.
    And it's impossible to make real-time data streaming charting on it.

Any suggestion for what tool in pentaho i can use to solve my problem.

Thanks for any help.

Default Can't you do it via Listners ?

Hi,

can you check the following steps

Make one query component ,which check the data is changed or not , if change its set the result var to "update" field.

now on post change check if data is change then thet value prm_refresh parameter(create new parameter ) set it to "update"(or other value) if not updated then no need to change the parameter and then make it listner of this parameter to the other chart which you wanna refresh

and set some refresh period for query component .

so it will check every 5 minute data is updated ? , if its updated then its change the parameter/listener of your graph and your particular chart will relaod.

Thanks
    Pranav
    Last edited by Lakhani_pranav; 10-24-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Hi. thanks for the reply.

Currently refreshing the chart is not a problem.
    my current dashboard can auto updating the chart.
    what i trying to make is a chart (line chart) that can change the line without reload the chart.
    so only the line is changing.

the example for what i'm trying to make.(change the refresh rate to tick)
    http://www.netdania.com/Products/liv...anceChart.aspx

Thanks

Not sure if that is possible with the CCC charts.
    But no one is stoping you from implementing different charts for example highcharts this supports updating points on the chart.
    but you will have to use quite alot of javascript to make it work and highcharts are not free to use !

grtz,
    Hans

@Hans,
    I wanted to try something similar just curious how I can interfacing high chart with Penhtaho CDE?If you can give me some high level guidelines would be great.
    @chenjie
    For development they are free and also for production it's not that expensive you can see here to make your buy Vs. build decision.If it serves your purpose I see it cheaper than to build but it depends on cases.
    http://www.highcharts.com/license

Bidev,

I'm also in the beginning stage of experimenting with different charts so i don't have any guidelines (yet).
    Unfortunately you can't use them directly from CDE (i guess you could but you would have to rewrite a big part of CDE).
    but you can add one directly in the CDF file i used the BI-developer/CDF/Samples/blueprint sample to start from.
    I created an xaction that generates json with the data i need for the graph and added javascript in the template.html to grab the data and render the graph.
    The samples that come with highcharts and also the documents on their site are all that I used to get started.
    Hope this helps.

grtz,
    Hans

Hans,
    Thanks so much for your response.Even I am able to just implement table and chart component of CCC using CDE/CDA.I will try highchart little later after getting more insight into it but seems it had good potential. Now I am focused on building dashboard passing parameters from user like drop down or clicking on pie/bar chart etc.Do you have any samples that you can share?Or any directions on what query should like while using CDE/CCC/CDF/CDA combination.I have put some samples in my website what i was able to build just to share with other new users like me and share idea and experiences.
    http://codeissue.com/articles/a04ea8...emo-with-mysql
    Please feel to comment or suggest on it.

Default Implement High Charts as custom Component in CDF

Hi,

We are trying to render graphs using Highcharts in CDF. Can anyone guide us on how this can be done with a small example. We would like to install high charts as a custom component in CDF and then refer to the components for rendering our graphs in dashboard.

Any idea / suggestion are welcome. Thanks.

Ashiff
    ashiff@scaffnet.com

any update on this?

See "FAQ > Real time".