Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Embedding a Pentaho report inside a panel inside another web page?

Default Embedding a Pentaho report inside a panel inside another web page?

A newbie question...

I have a custom web application that I'm currently designing that will have a portlet style main page display of multiple display panels. What I'd to have is the ability to embed a Pentaho report in one of these panels. Is this possible?

At the moment I'm considering using Sencha Ext-JS4 so the app is really a Javascript app with JS panels.

Three questions....
    • Can I embed a Pentaho report inside a panel/iframe inside another web page?
    • Can I pass parameters to the Pentaho report so that the data focus of the report changes as the the data focus of my app changes. For example: assume that my app is showing multiple panels of data for 'Germany', including an embedded Pentaho report for 'Germany'. Now in my app I change the data focus from 'Germany' to 'France', can I push this change in data filter to the Pentaho report aso that it freshes to show data fro 'France'?
    • Is there a Pentaho (web) service for retrieving the list of available reports?

TIA

(1) Yes, this is how dashboards render reports and even the standard UI of the BI-Server uses IFrames for its rendering.

(2) Yes, standard URL parametrization for a HTTP-GET or POST request is all we expect. Read: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Repo...+Documentation.

The second requirement you describe here is what we call a dashboard. You should be easily able to integrate your own code with the CDA framework to build the functionality you describe. After all, this is a fairly standard dashboard requirement.

(3) There is the repository-xml document that contains a list of all artefacts known to the platform. Filter it for *.prpt files and you have the reports, including the service URL that you would need to call to get the report.

http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Serv...ry+Webservices
    Use the "getSolutionRepositoryDoc" component to get that long list.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.