Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Does logging in PDI 4.2-stable work properly?

Default Does logging in PDI 4.2-stable work properly?

Hi there,

at the moment I am trying to understand the new logging-features of PDI 4 in PDI 4.2-stable. To do this I designed the following main job:

Start --> Call SubJob 1 --> Call Trans 1 --> Call Subjob 2 --> Success.

„Subjob 1“ calls „Trans 1“ and „Subjob 2“ calls „Trans 2“.

The transformations themselves do nothing special.

Trans 1 successes by selecting “SYSDATE FROM DUAL;
    Trans 2 always fails while selecting “SYSDATE FROM XYZ;

On Error I abort each job using the „Abort“ job jobentry.

I configured logging to use the following logging tables and checked all table-field-checkboxes in each config-dialogue:

PDI_LOG_CHANNEL_TB
    PDI_LOG_JOB_TB
    PDI_LOG_JOBENTRY_TB
    PDI_LOG_PERF_TB
    PDI_LOG_STEP_TB
    PDI_LOG_TRAFO_TB

When executing my MainJob, I get the following strange logging behaviors, which I don’t understand:

• Within PDI_LOG_JOB_TB there are entries for every Job started, but lines_read, lines_written, lines_input, …, lines updated are only filled for the MainJob

• Within PDI_LOG_JOBENTRY_TABLE the “LOG_FIELD” – column is not filled at all.

• There is no obvious relation between entries in LOG_CHANNEL_TB and LOG_JOBENTRY_TB. If i perform a select within database repo via

„select * from pdi_log_channel_tb where channel_id IN (select channel_id from pdi_log_jobentry_tb);”

no rows are returned. I thought that all Objects get an log_channel_id to let me identify the corresponding logging-entries in the object specific logging tables. If I perform the equivalent selection on the job-/transformation- or step- logging tables the corresponding log entries are shown.
    • When I change the MainJob above to

Start --> Call Subjob 1 --> Call Trafo 1 --> Call Subjob 1 --> Success
    Only one entry for “Subjob 1” whithin PDI_LOG_CHANNEL_TB appears, that means only one entry of logging_object_type “JOB” for subjob 1 is created for the root_channel_id of the MainJob, even though the job is called twice.

The first MainJob calling “subjob 1” and “subjob 2” results in two logging-channel-entries of type “JOB”
    Is this behavior correct? can someone explain me how logging works?

Thanks a lot

Thomas

I have the same issue, I don't really understand it either, and I don't think it's working correctly ( http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...lls&highlight= ).

One quick note on: 'Within PDI_LOG_JOBENTRY_TABLE the “LOG_FIELD” – column is not filled at all'

Is the Enabled?-column checked for this field? By default it is not.

Hi,

as mentioned in my fist post. I have enabled all fields in every logging-table, especially the log_field-checkbox in the job_entry-logging-table. So i thought that entries should be writte in there.

Cheers

Thomas

It's too much of a guessing game for anybody Thomas, why don't you attach your test-case to a JIRA case if you think there is a bug somewhere.
    Thanks in advance!

Matt

Hi Matt,

your wish is my command ;-)

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-6860

Cheers

Thomas

Make sure to attach your test-job :-)