Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Bug: Error when importing double from a Microsoft Access Database

Default Bug: Error when importing double from a Microsoft Access Database

When importing double from Access it became corrupted. The Kettle engine add several zeros at the end of number for any reason.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mello Margenn,

good effort putting a sample together. I would suggest to also tell us the Kettle version you are referring to.
    But to the *bug* at hand. Are you familiar with the format masks Kettle uses to convert numbers to strings (for preview for example)?
    Unless you specify a format mask for the field, the default is going to be used, which I think is something like #.#.

It is important to understand that the number is kept as a number internally with full precision. Once Kettle has to convert it to a string (for the purposes of preview for example) it is going to use the format mask for that field.

If you'd like to experiment with it, I'd suggest using different masks like "0", "0.0", "0.00", "#.#####", "#.0" etc. and experiment with different numbers between 0 and 10 to see the effect.

The formal doc is available here: http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/...malFormat.html

Cheers
    Slawo

Hello Slawo,

Thank you for your help. The PDI version I'm using is 4.2.

The issue is in the number *value* instead the way it is presented. For example: 1 turns into 10.0 and so on.. which can be verified on the attached sample of this thread. I'm aware about the mask use.

A workaround was pushing the ms access "double" value into a string output and then turn it into a number on the next step. The number is "outputted" as scientific notation (string) and then converted correctly on the next step.

cheers
    Margenn

Hi margenn,

that is curious. I was testing with PDI 4.2. and have not seen anything like that happening. Which version of Access have you been using to create the file? And can you confirm the values in the test table for us?

Cheers
    Slawo

hello slawo

I just done the double check and inserted mask = #.#
    For numbers until 7 digits OK.
    Additional zeros are still added for 8+ digits

using: pdi 4.2 and java 6. access 2k3

cheers
    Margenn

margenn,

I can't seem to see the issue. Below is what PDI preview vs. Access 2010 are showing me for the test file.

Name:  cmp.png
Views: 55
Size:  58.0 KB

Cheers
    Slawo

hello slawo

Thats weird because im getting the following:
    Did you made any tweak on the transformation I've sent?

Marcelo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey margenn,

that looks weird indeed. I've not changed anything in your sample.
    Are you using the 32 bit version of Kettle? There's the remote possibility that 32 vs. 64 bit datatypes are responsible for this. In any case, I'd like you to collect as many details as you can about your environment and create a jira case for this.

Please include details about OS (32/64 bit), Java version, Java runtime (32/64 bit), Java vendor (we support Sun Java only) and anything else you can think of

Once we can reproduce it, we can fix it

Cheers
    Slawo

I was thinking it might be a locale difference (. and , difference or something similar).

Hello slawo, matt

The problem disappear when you declare Decimal="." on "Microsoft Access Input => Fields"
    In my country (Brazil) the default decimal is ","

Thank you