Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Problem using LDAP input for lookup

Default Problem using LDAP input for lookup

I am using Kettle 4.1 to try to lookup a users information in LDAP.

My input is a list of userid's

I transform the userid using a formula to contact together to filter for ldap.

For example given a user id of abc my filter is
    uid=abc

Then I have an LDAP input step with "Dynamic filter string" checked and the field "filter" selected. This field contains my filter string "uid=abc"

When I run I get an error that the filter string is missing.
    2011/10/21 12:05:50 - LDAP Input.0 - ERROR (version 4.1.0-stable, build 14410 from 2010-11-16 16.43.28 by buildguy) : Exception :
    2011/10/21 12:05:50 - LDAP Input.0 - ERROR (version 4.1.0-stable, build 14410 from 2010-11-16 16.43.28 by buildguy) : Dynamic filter string fieldname is missing!

If I unselect "Dynamic filter string" and hard code my filter string to uid=abc then it works fine getting me the exact user but of course this doesn't work since I have a list of users.

Am I formating the filter string incorrectly? Shy does the error state the string is missing. If I output the stream the filter strings look fine.

I came across this problem too. I traced it down, filed an issue (PDI-7000,) and submitted a patch.

I worked around the issue by adding a step that set a constant search base, and then use a dynamic search base in the LDAPInput step using the constant.

Hello, I ran into this issue as well. I see there is an LDAPinput.java file, is there a way I can "fix" it with that?

If not, can you detail what this is all about:
    a step that set a constant search base, and then use a dynamic search base in the LDAPInput step using the constant.

Thanks!

If you don't know what to do with LDAPInput.java, then I'd recommend not trying. Just wait until the next release of PDI is out. I found a simpler workaround in the meantime.

In the LDAP Input step, on the Search tab:
    • check "Dynamic search base"
    • select a field in "Search base fieldname"
    • uncheck "Dynamic search base"