Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: question on scheduling jobs in PDI

Default question on scheduling jobs in PDI

I am using PDI 4.1.0 and am working on windows. I will be later migrating the jobs to a unix box.

My problem statement:

I have a couple of jobs.
    1) one runs every 2hrs and populates a table(in memory).
    2) the other runs every 2 seconds after it gets an input from the previous job... If the Job1 doesn't populate anything in the in-memory table, the job 2 shouldn't run....
    At the same time, if there's a update on the table by job1, job 2 starts and runs every 2 seconds.

At this point, I would like to confirm if my points above made sense.!!!!

the challenge here is making the job 2 run only when job 1 makes some updates on the table. otherwise i do not want job 2 to keep checking every 2 seconds.

Please suggest how to go about it. I am trying to make use of the integrated scheduling with spoon but if you guys suggest that this is possible on pan, I could try that too.

Any directions on this are welcome.

-Sravan

There's

I would incorporate those 2 jobs in a third one.
    Then you can force Job 2 to run only if Job 1 is completed successfully.
    No need to set a time delay between the 2 jobs.

Mick

Cool another question

Hi Mick,

thanks for the reply. I am trying to do the suggested..

I have one more doubt...
    Everyone knows that the integrated scheduler allows you to set a job on repeat every x minutes or y minutes.. I can do this. Once the job kicks off it will keep running at the specified intervals and it will go into a cycle till all the input given to is over.

Further I want to specify at what time to start this cycle at.. ?? meaning something like..

start running JOB J1 every 2 HOURS from TOMORROW 12:00 AM.
    I am asking this cos when u check the repeat option and say interval.. The time of the day gets disabled.
    I think lots of ETL tools allow that. I wonder if I am missing something here...
    Is there a way out.??

Let me tell one thing in here.. I have just fallen in love with the tool... I am feeling lucky...

-Sravan

Hi Sravan.

I don't understand why you need to schedule your 2nd job to run multiple times.
    My understanding was that job 1 update one table.
    If that table is updated, then you run job 2.
    But this job should run until it has finished doing its task.. why do you need to run it multiple times if the table does not change?

I am asking this cos when u check the repeat option and say interval.. The time of the day gets disabled.
    I think lots of ETL tools allow that. I wonder if I am missing something here...
    Sorry.. cannot help you about this.

Mick