Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: VFP dbf MEMO type as varying(4)

Default VFP dbf MEMO type as varying(4)

Hi,
    I'm trying to migrate a Visual FoxPro database to a PostgreSQL.
    I've been using a third party JDBC driver to connect to Visual FoxPro and the usal PostgreSQL driver to connect to my new database.
    Structures are created without problems but on data import I keep getting an error.

After some tests and revisions I found out the problem is with a MEMO column from VFP, wich is read by PDI as a varying(4) column.
    So when I try to insert values (most are bigger as supported by MEMO) the transaction is aborted.

I've also tested my driver on other programs and MEMO type is not read in this way, but as a longtext or similar.

Is this a driver or PDI issue??
    Could it be a PostgreSQL issue instead??

As it is right now I guess I could change the columns in VFP, but I'm assuming a will not be able to do this in a short period of time as most databases are hundreds of tables long.

Is there some automated way to fix this??

Thanks for the help

Best regards

Martin Caetano

PS: I'm using PDI 3.1 and HXTT's DBF_JDBC40 driver

Hi,
    After some new info I found out my problem is PDI uses the info of the first row to load to transform my memo colum into a varying(4).
    This obviously is giving me hell because most records are not 4 characters long, but a lot longer.

Is there a way I can set some configuration to avoid PDI using the info of the first row??
    I know I can change each job on my own, but I need some unattended fix for the more than a hundred tables I'm migrating (and this is the smallest database I need to migrate).

Thanks for the help

Best regards

Martin Caetano