Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Limitation on Single Threader Step?

Default Limitation on Single Threader Step?

I have a sub-transformation that I would like to run using the single threader step, because I need to process one row at a time. However I realize that when I put more than one table input step in the sub-transformation, it doesn't work (the sub-transformation is stuck at "initializing" status when I tried to run the parent transformation).

Anyone has encountered this before? I am using PDI 4.2.0 GA

Thanks

Really, "It doesn't work" is all we're going to get?
    Well, in that case I would say: "it would depend on the transformation to say whether or not it logically even makes sense to run a table input step in a single threaded transformation".
    Last edited by MattCasters; 10-28-2011 at 04:46 AM.

I have been trying to pin this one down this morning - I moved a lump of code that needs to be processed one row at a time into a single threader and it would throw a non-descript "error initialising step [SingleThreader]" or if I get a more detailed error it is:
    java.lang.NullPointerException at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.singlethreader.SingleThreader.dispose(SingleThreader.java:278) at org.pentaho.di.trans.Trans.prepareExecution(Trans.java:766) at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.trans.TransGraph.debug(TransGraph.java:3451) at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.delegates.SpoonTransformationDelegate.executeTransformation(SpoonTransformationDelegate.java:910) at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon$32$1.run(Spoon.java:7512) at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(Unknown Source) at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Unknown Source) at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Unknown Source) at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source) at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1169) at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:6940) at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:553) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:134)
    To attempt to track this down I started with a fresh single threader and slowly added processing steps. It ran happily with each additional step (row transformation steps) until I added a database lookup. At this point it started throwing the same errors again. Is there an alternative way to process rows individually through a set of steps?

Please file a proper JIRA case for the "DB Lookup" step so that we can fix this.

Since you don't explain what you're doing we can't give you an alternative for that unknown process either :-)

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-7401

transformations are attached to the bug.