Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Help with simple Measures and Schemas

Default Help with simple Measures and Schemas

I'm just starting learning Mondrian and MDX. I'm trying to start to build my measures for my schema. I read in the getting started part that all measures relate back to a column in the data model, but say I'm trying to figure out head count of a set of employees. Can I simply not sum up or count the rows returned by some criteria, or do I have to create a column just to hold a 1 in it to sum? Also is there a way to create a measure that's an aggregate function and a filter? For example, I'd like to come up with a permanent employee head count vs temporary head count. The criteria for what is a permanent employee vs temporary employee is just sum it up + a set of filters.

What if I wanted to show head count vs projected head count where head count would come from the employee table, but projected would be from open requisitions in another table?

Thanks

You can choose count and distinct-count as aggregate functions and use e.g. the primary key of the table as your column, so there is no need to create a column with a 1 in it.

Regarding your second question: You could create a calculatedMember that does this. For example if I only want to see the amount of sales for shipped orders I could create a CalculatedMember in the schema with the following formula: "sum({[type].[Shipped]},[Sales])". Almost every aggregation function in mdx takes a set as the first parameter.

To access data from two fact tables you first need to define a cube on each fact table and then construct a virtual cube on top of your two cubes.
    See http://mondrian.pentaho.com/document...#Virtual_cubes
    Probably it would be easier to integrate the projected head count into the other fact table.
    Markus Burger-Scheidlin
    ITGAIN Consulting GmbH Hannover, Germany