Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Repository files not inserted in the database

Default Repository files not inserted in the database

We are working with Pentaho BI 3.5.0 on an Oracle environment with Oracle Application Server 10.1.3.5.0 and Oracle Database 10g.

We are having problems with certain files (.xaction) from the repository because they are not inserted in the table PRO_FILES when the application is deployed on the server.
    This causes certain xaction not work, because they are not in the database and cause errors when trying to run them. It also occurs with PRPT reports.

But curiously, if the repository cache is updated from the Pentaho console, these files are inserted into the database and everything works fine.

The traces do not return any error. Just trying to execute the corresponding xaction or PRPT report, it shows the error without information.

Does anyone know what could cause this problem?

gmoran Guest

The solution repository is almost never automatically updated. So, it is not surprising that on deployment, the solution files are not uploaded to the repository, because deployment does not trigger a solution repository refresh. There are a few ways to trigger a solution repository refresh:

1. The first time the Pentaho web app is started, if the solution repository is COMPLETELY EMPTY, then the solution refresh will happen. This is only likely during the first time you start the server.
    2. You can trigger a solution refresh from Pentaho User Console, as you've discovered.
    3. You can refresh the solution repository from an action sequence (using the solution repository API in a Javascript Rule), which you can run manually, or as a system startup action. You should be able to get this code here in the forums or on IRC.

good luck and kind regards,
    Gretchen

Hello Gretchen,
    A record is created for each file in the repository in the database, but its content is not inserted in the register, leaving the data field to null.
    Why can this happen?

I tried to implement the third solution that you told me, but it has not worked. The files have their registration in the database but its content is inserted empty, as I mentioned above.

We need to have all files in a database at the beginning of the application, but not having them is causing us many problems.

Can it be possible that the encoding of the files is what is causing the problem? But, why are they updated correctly when you press the menu button to refresh cache repository? How can we do this automatically at application start?

gmoran Guest

The solution repository refresh API that is used in the action sequence is the same API that is used from PUC. I am not clear what you mean when you say that "The files have their registration in the database but its content is inserted empty". Are you implying that the pro_files table has an entry for the solution, but the data field is not populated? Can you clarify?

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to say. The pro_files table has an entry for every solution file, but some entries have the data field not populated. This always happens with the same files.

We haven't found the problem. Server logs and Pentaho logs are clear and they don't show any error.

Any idea?

Thanks
    Last edited by ivan.garciag; 11-16-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: more info

gmoran Guest

Well, I personally haven't encountered this issue... here's my advice:

1. Locate and analyze all the solution files that fail. What makes them different from those that succeed, but makes them all similar that they all fail? Are they all prpts, or xactions? Are they persisted under s different encoding than the others? What tool are you using to modify and save the failing files?

2. Search jira.pentaho.com for cases in the bi server project related to pro_files table - I did a quick scan and didn't find much interesting recently with that table (the repository layer has been solid for a couple of releases). You may have better luck searching JIRA, as you are closer to the problem.

Good luck, -G

Hello gmoran,

Implied files are always the same: several .xaction, all the .prpt and metadata.xmi file.

We always work with Pentaho editors: Design studio for xactions, Report Designer for prpts and Metadata Editor and always happens the same: they aren't loaded into database.

At this time, we have encountered a posible solution for this issue. We have code a trigger that checks if data field is null before insert or update, read the content file from the filesystem and inserts this content. This probably is not the best solution but it works.

Thanks for your time.