Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Text Input step to configure based on dynamic fields

Default Text Input step to configure based on dynamic fields

Hello,

I am using a Text input step to read in fields and then map them to a table output using a select values step. The problem is that the fields that come in the text input step is dynamic. But there is a constant number of fields that always would be required for the select values step. Is there a way to read in the requisite number of constant fields and reject the remaining dynamic number of fields. For eg my required fields for the Select values step are a,b,c. But the text file might contain (a,b,c,d,e,f,g) or (a,b,c) or(a,b,c,d). I just need to read in a,b,c from the text file. Suggestions and guidance would very much helpful. Thanks a lot.

I am using Pentaho 4.2.0

You can already define in the csv input step only the first 3 fields ... then it will only import the first 3 fields. This only works if they are the first 3 fields. So if your file has a,b,c,d,e,f -> you only define a,b,c to be imported.
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    Visit my Pentaho blog which offers some tutorials mainly on Kettle, Report Designer and Mondrian
    ===============

Hello Diddy,

The problem is that they would not always be the first three columns of the input file. It could also come in the format of (d,a,e,b,c) etc

For these non-standard text files it makes sense to simply read the whole line.
    You can then for example split the field to rows generating a bunch of key/value pairs that you can then de-normalize again if you like.
    Depending on the situation you can also pick a marker field to switch/case on and then send the data to various Split fields steps.
    Finally, if the data is hierarchical in nature you might have to work a combination of all possibly with some JavaScript ;-)