Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Organizing Measures in different folders

Default Organizing Measures in different folders

Hello,
    I'm working on creating a mondrian olap schema. I've a number of measures in each cube (some are 100+ if you include YAG, % Changes etc.). I want to arrange them in various folders (so let's say, Sales Measures Folder, Inventory Measures Folder etc.). I've not seen any example of this in Foodmart schema or any other schema's I've come across including the movie schema.

Q: Is it even possible in Mondrian to create such folders?

These folders are simply for organization purposes so users can find the measures they are looking for easily. It's an application that does actually require such large number of measures.

Thank you.
    Sean

If you are using the Analyzer (Pentaho biserver EE) you can use an annotation called AnalyzerBusinessGroup to achieve this. You have to define this for each level in case of dimensions or for each measure:
    Code:
    <Annotations> <Annotation name="AnalyzerBusinessGroup">Numbers</Annotation></Annotations>
    Keep in mind: This works with the Analyzer only!
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    Visit my Pentaho blog which offers some tutorials mainly on Kettle, Report Designer and Mondrian
    ===============

Quote Originally Posted by diddy View Post
    If you are using the Analyzer (Pentaho biserver EE) you can use an annotation called AnalyzerBusinessGroup to achieve this. You have to define this for each level in case of dimensions or for each measure:
    Code:
    <Annotations> <Annotation name="AnalyzerBusinessGroup">Numbers</Annotation></Annotations>
    Keep in mind: This works with the Analyzer only!
    Thank you for your reply! I read your blog quite regularly.

Unfortunately, I am using Saiku (stand alone) and not in BI server (and surely not EE at this point). I may try to put in some dummy measures or some anchor in the measure names so they sort correctly within the virtual cube (e.g. Sales - Total Sales, Sales - Total COGS etc.). This is not going to be elegant but an ok workaround.

I am thinking that I should put this as an enhancement request for Mondrian team. I think a <folder> tag should be added to support grouping measures. Good idea?

Regards,
    Sean

Hi Sean,
    I think it would good if Mondrian directly supported this instead of every client tool having its own implementation.
    On the other hand, maybe it's quite easy to implement this feature in Saiku.
    I would just set up a jira case for both of them and hope that one of them implements it quite quickly.
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    Visit my Pentaho blog which offers some tutorials mainly on Kettle, Report Designer and Mondrian
    ===============