Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: job executing transformation for every row

Default job executing transformation for every row

I have a job that has 2 transformations in it. The first one returns a set of rows to be processed by the second transformation. How can I make the second transformation continue processing for every row, even when an error occurs with one of the rows being processed? I have the set the options for Copy previous results to parameters, and Execute for every row set, but can't figure out how to do the error handling. Any ideas?

use error handling on the step that is erroring and consume the error?

So, you're saying I need to define the error handling inside my transformation, feed it to say a dummy step to keep the transformation from erroring. I think I can do that. thank you.

yup, i'm saying you can do that, whether or not it's right is your call

In my situation, it is right for me to do that. However, I am still having a bit of trouble. The step that dies is a table input step, and I do not see how to define error handling on that step. What I need is a way to determine whether or not a table exists, and if it does, read information from it, if not, skip that table and move on. I have added a 'table exists' step and route the true case to my table input, and the false case to a dummy. I still get failures from the table input trying to initialize while pointing to a non-existant table. I think this is related to how everything runs in parallel within a transformation.

How can I detect if a table exists, and optionally read information from it otherwise skip it?

ah, annoyingly you cannot do that in a transform i'm afraid. so you must do that at the job level... ( there is a table exists step )

That will work! I never saw that step in Jobs before. Thank you.