Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: comparing content of two files

Default comparing content of two files

Hi,

I am relatively new to Pentaho and would really appreciate if I could get any help with this. I was working on Spoon and was wondering if there is any way I could compare the content of two csv files containing information like firstname, middlename, lastname and the output should give out those names that match in both the files. I know we have File Compare which compares two files or Merge Rows(diff). Is there anyway I could get the names that are present in both files written to an output file.

Also, is there a way to compare more than 2 files at once.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, you can use merge row(diff) to compare your files. you must sort every file on the same field and be aware that the 2 files must have the same column number (you can use "select value" step to select the fields you need).
    The merge diff add a field at the end of the data stream (it say if the same record are identical, if a record is new or is "deleted"): put a filter rows and select only the "identical" record.
    Sorry for my bad english, hope that helps,
    Andrea

Thank you for the reply. How would I sort the file when the information within is names??? Also, Is there anyway I can compare the content of more than two files for eg. if I have three files say Files A,B and C, I would like to compare the contents of File A with both B and C and get the output as I had wanted earlier. Can we do something like this with Pentaho?
    Last edited by malavika; 11-16-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Hi,
    compare more than 2 files at once now is not possible, however you can compare in the same transformation A with B, A with C and then compare the result of the 2 stream.
    In order to use Merge (Diff) you need to sort the 2 stream, so order by lastname, middlename, first name.
    If you can provide some example i'll have a look
    Bye,
    Andrea