Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: suggestion on running multiple parallel jobs

Default suggestion on running multiple parallel jobs

need some suggestion friends... I have to run multiple kettle jobs in parallel through an external scheduler, so I am planning to run them by calling the jobs from kitchen, now to my queries:
    • I am connecting to an enterprise repository to run these jobs.. is there a problem in that?
    • I have certain jobs to run in parallel, should I have a master job to carry out this action, or run multiple instances of kitchen, (all these jobs just dump data into certain staging tables, belonging to the same DB)
    • All these jobs are also updating certain audit tables and there is a risk of simultaneous access.. will there be any database locking issues, (transactional mode is enabled by default and database is postgres)
    Regards,
    Madhu

Connecting to an EE repository should be fine, as the command takes a repository name. As for the transactional nature of the ETL, please note that transactional mode is only available in transformations. It is not supported among sub transformations or among jobs. Please see http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-977 and the related jira cases.

- Brian Hagan

Thanks Brian, The updation of audit table is done from within a transformation and not from the job, so I think that should be ok too then!
    Regards,
    Madhu

Default How did you run multiple jobs in parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by madhupenta View Post
    Thanks Brian, The updation of audit table is done from within a transformation and not from the job, so I think that should be ok too then!
    I have certain jobs to run in parallel, should I have a master job to carry out this action, or run multiple instances of kitchen, (all these jobs just dump data into certain staging tables, belonging to the same DB) - How were u able to do this? I tried this by scheduling 2 jobs at the same time but they ran in sequence and not in parallel!!
    Tried using InnoDB+autoinrement option in MySQL, creating 2 schedules for 2 jobs, attaching both the jobs to a single schedule
    , AUTOINCREMENT_SQL_FOR_BATCH_ID but nothing seems to be working. Still the jobs are getting executing in sequence

I can make them work in parallel by creating a parent job and then triggering them in parallel within but i do not want to do it.