Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Insert / Update - Unexpected error

Default Insert / Update - Unexpected error

When i ran the kettle job file which internally calling the transformation files i got the below exception. Strange thing is that i am not getting below exception every time or some time it is giving me this exception for different transformation file and sometime for different.

Insert / Update - Unexpected error
    Insert / Update - org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Unable to prepare statement for SQL statement [SELECT name, host FROM xyz WHERE ( ( name= ? ) ) AND ( ( host= ? ) ) ]
    Invalid state, the Connection object is closed.

at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.insertupdate.InsertUpdate.setLookup(InsertUpdate.java:392)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.insertupdate.InsertUpdate.processRow(InsertUpdate.java:252)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:40)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid state, the Connection object is closed.
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.checkOpen(ConnectionJDBC2.java:1494)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.prepareStatement(ConnectionJDBC2.java:2177)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.insertupdate.InsertUpdate.setLookup(InsertUpdate.java:388)
    ... 3 more

Please let me know how can I resolve this problem.

Thanks !!

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Do the data types of your fields in kettle match the data types in the "name" and "host" database columns?
    2. Are you using any reserved SQL Server words in your table or column names? Both "name" and "host" sound OK, and this is unlikely, but sometimes this problem can happen.
    3. Do you get the problem on one machine and not on another? Do you get the problem when running as one OS user but not another? Does the problem only occur when you run the job on a scheduler, but it's OK when you run the job interactively, so the environment might be different? Try to isolate which difference is causing the problem.