Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: save date job not working

Default save date job not working

Hello all,

I'm rather new to kettle, so I'll try to explain here the best I can how the job works with a picture and what's my issue.
    Name:  job_AOI.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  18.5 KB

The above image shows the job and its 3 transformations. When I run the job on the server, it pings a remote host to see if it's alive. If it responds, it gets the system's current date (on the get date transformation) and saves to a file (execution date transformation). The 3rd transformation, uses the date defined on a yyyymmdd string format and builds a directory path to check for new files on this path. If the path is real, kettle parses the files in it, if it's not then kettle aborts the job.

The issue I'm having is that on my local machine the file resulting from the execution date job gets updated, but not on the server. On the server, there's a user configured with permissions to run the job.

Ideas helping solving this out are most welcome!

Best regards and thanks in advance,
    GTLudwig

Hi.
    Is the server a Linux or Windows?
    Can you change permission so that the user running spoon has read/write permission on that folder?

Mick

The server is Windows Server 2003, whose sys admin created a user to run this (kettle) job. To my knowledge the user already has read/write permissions on the folder. When I run the job on my Linux development machine with my user, all is fine - except for the get files transformation which relies on a Windows mapping.

Assuming that your problem is reelated to write/read permissions, I would create a simple transformation which creates a text file.
    Run it as you run the other job and see if that simple transformation can create a file on that folder.

If it works, then your problem could be caused by some other reason. If the file is not created, then everything point to that issue and I would check again with the sysadmin.

Mick