Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: MSSQL Connection

Default MSSQL Connection

Team:

Recently the business I work for is moving away from MSSQL Mixed mode server setup and to the Domain Authentication. What I have not figured out yet is how to setup Kettle to pass a username password like it is on the domain
    is it as simple as in the user id field <domain>/user pass=<password> ?

Thanks for any help

Hi meyerder,
    you have to set up a connection to this mssql server? if yes, simply use a jdbc connection and you can specify user, pass and even a instance name.
    HTH,
    Andrea

Yes.. that works fine when the system is in mixed mode.. MSSQL has a Strict and Mixed mode.. Mixed mode is where a user name is defined for the DB.. Strict mode uses the Domain authentication with no prompts for username pass (pulls it from the machine you are on) Since I am comming from a unix box that is not on the domain I am at a loss as to what to set to "trick" the mssql server to think that I am on the domain

Hi,

I made the following experience with JDBC-Access for Windows-authentication method:

a)
    You need to start the Java-Process from a user who is allowed to access the SQL-Server

b) you need to verify that you are using a JDBC Driver which is capable to support windows-integrated authentication (jTDS is capable to do so: http://jtds.sourceforge.net/faq.html and the SQL-Server JDBC Drivers support this feature as well)

HTH,

Tom

Toms:

Thanks.. I can see how that takes care of the username part.. any clue how to make it think the unix box is part of the domain without it being part of the domain?
    Or is this what it is talking about

"Without the native SSO library installed you still have to provide the username and password because otherwise jTDS cannot determine user credentials. There is a good side to this: users on non-Windows platforms are able to log in using Windows credentials by providing them in the URL, along with the domain name.
    "

Hi,

yes, that´s what it´s about:
    Put the domain-name into the JDBC Url, like this:

jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost/mydatabase;domain=MYDOMAINAs to be found here:
    http://jtds.sourceforge.net/faq.html...Implementation

Cheers,

Tom

TomS

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw

Thank you

I had problems connecting to the MS SQL Server database from Pentaho 4.2.1 Stable. I was getting a connection error because it could not find the java class, and then when it could find the class, the driver which supports Windows integrated authentication was not found.

These were my steps to resolving the problem:

Environment:
    Windows Server 2008 (64 bit)
    MS SQL Server 2008 R2 "Windows Authentication" mode
    Java 1.6.0_21, SE Runtime (build 1.6.0_21-b07), 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0-b17, mixed mode)
    PDI 4.2.1 Stable

1) Downloaded the JDBC driver from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/aa937724.aspx
    2) Installed the driver per the instructions
    3) Copied the ...sqljdbc_3.0/enu/sqljdbc4.tar to ...data-integration/lib
    4) Copied the ...sqljdbc_3.0/enu/auth/x64/sqljdbc_auth.dll to ...data-integration/libswt/win64
    5) Copied the ...sqljdbc_3.0/enu/auth/x86/sqljdbc_auth.dll to ...data-integration/libswt/win32

Started Spoon, created the connection for the repository: connection type MS SQL Server (native), left the username and password blank, checked the "Integrated authentication" box and the connection tested successfully.

I was logged into the server with a user ID that could access the database.
    Last edited by beardsleee; 12-05-2011 at 07:01 PM.