Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Repository - Multiple Users How To?

Default Repository - Multiple Users How To?

Hi

We are currently using a mixture of PDI 4.1 and 4.2 in our office but we can easily put all on the same version if necessary.

The repository is connected using root user to a MySQL database.
    Within that repository we have multiple users that we then login to the repository with.

We can login no problem but find that as soon as one person makes a change the other cannot make changes until the user that saves exits PDI.
    This seems to me that locks are being held when they should not be as far as I'm aware.

I noticed Matt posted in the following thread: http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...ght=repository
    regarding new JDBC drivers.

Before I try an old version of PDI can I just confirm that the above should work providing we are not editing the same transformation/job?

Thanks

Bill

Is there nobody else using a repository with multiple users?

Do you have this problem?

We want to get up and running as soon as possible but it seems we may be doing something wrong so if anybody has experience in this area please share your views.

Thanks

Bill

We are still having the same problem here. Having all users drop back to PDI 4.1 did not help. The problem also occurs when spoon is run from a Linux system so it isn't solely a windows problem.

Our repository currently uses MyISAM tables. I'm going to try changing to InnoDB to see if that helps.

Doug
    --
    PDI 4.2.0-STABLE on Windows 7 Enterprise & OpenSUSE 11.3
    MySQL 5.5.8 on openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64)

Thanks for your reply Doug, Let me know how your test goes.

Thanks

Bill

A JIRA number and a reproduction path would be more helpful to us.
    Just start from a blank repository and detail what you need to do to get to the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi Billabang,

We have multiple users. We moved from db to file based repositories to allow for Git version control integration and Kettle Cookbook auto documentation. There are still some considerations about file permissions in that scenario (so you kind of trade your problems for some different ones) - but the file based repository I think is more common for shared users.

Hope that helps,

David

The best repository (by far) for larger teams is the enterprise repository.

Switching from MyISAM to InnoDB did not change anything. SHOW PROCESSLIST returns a state of Waiting for table metadata lock with info LOCK TABLES R_CLUSTER WRITE, R_CLUSTER_SLAVE WRITE, R_CONDITION WRITE, R_DATABASE WRITE, R_DATABASE_.

Next step (after the current time crunch is done) is to try to reproduce the problem from a clean repository.

Doug
    --
    PDI 4.2.0-STABLE on Windows 7 Enterprise & OpenSUSE 11.3
    MySQL 5.5.8 on openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64)

HI Matt,

Do you have a link for the Enterprise Repository features? I'd like to compare them to our current approach.

Thanks,

David

we use the database repository with multiple users and it all works fine - albeit with an oracle back end.

Reproduction possible as follows;
    Install latest mysql database (5.5.25 in my case);
    Create a repo
    Create e long running job (example start->wait for ..)
    Start it with kitchen
    Connect with spoon, try to create and save another tranformation/job. This will not work while the job is running.

Ive written sowe words in the jira case as well. Have a look on it.
    Last edited by MichaelBieri; 06-15-2012 at 08:49 AM.