Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Database lookup caching in subtransformations

Default Database lookup caching in subtransformations

I have two fact tables. Both fact tables share the same set of dimensions (dim_date, dim_time, dim_customer, et al). For each fact table, I have a transformation. Both fact-generating transformations go through the identical dimension table lookup steps. For each dimension lookup, I have caching and load entire table enabled. This reduces the ETL time from 4 mins to 2 seconds. Since the dimension tables are short, this is practical.

Now to reduce redundancy, I want to isolate the dimension lookup steps in a separate subtransformation that both fact-generating transformations can share. My question is, if I place the dimension table lookup steps in a subtransformation and enable caching, does a table reload happen every time the substransformation is called, or will the dimension content be held in memory until the ETL is complete?

Thank you,

Sol

Speaking in another programming language - subtransformations are like pre-processor makros which help you keeping your code clean (reduce redundancy). If you have a DB-Lookup in a subtransformation and you use this sub.transformation 4 times it is like having 4 DB-Lookup steps. They do not share resources (memory, connection, etc.), regardless if you use the sub-transformation in one transformation or if you use the same sub.transformation in different transformations.

Usually I solve this by writing the shared results to a 'data cube' using the Serialize to / from file steps, so you can create the shared results first, and then use and re-use it in the rest of the processing. Perhaps this could work for you too?