Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Ad Hoc Reporting for Business Users for SaaS product

Question Ad Hoc Reporting for Business Users for SaaS product

All,

I've been searching around for an ad hoc reporting solution for my SaaS product, and Pentaho seems very promising. I'm somewhat new to features and functionality, though, so I was hoping someone could help me with a couple newbie questions:
    1. I got Pentaho BI up and running no problem on a test box. When I log in, though, and start editing an ad-hoc report, I have this happy notice at the bottom: "Web Ad Hoc Query and Reporting is no longer being maintained. It is provided as a convenience, but may be removed in a future release". This tool is almost exactly what I was looking for, so I have a few questions related to it
      1. Is this being dropped for something else? Does anyone have any insight into the current or future status of the tool and when it might be dropped?
      2. Is there a tool I should go with instead of this? Distribute report designer and tell people how to push?
      3. If I decide to go with it and risk it, can someone point me towards removing the notice?
    2. The way our system is set up, we have a full Drupal instance for each of our customers. So if I set up a user, I'm going to want to limit that user to only be able to report on one database. With the existing ad hoc tool, is it possible to limit which data sources a user is allowed to use (or better yet, see). It doesn't look like there are any permissions at the data source level.
    3. Any other thoughts or experiences someone else has on providing this sort of reporting to this audience for a SaaS product would be greatly appreciated. It's been a couple of years since I've looked for a solution like this.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I've been spending a lot of time googling around and searching the forums, but I haven't been able to find much information about the ad hoc tool. If I'm just searching the wrong places, please send me towards the relevant documentation.

Thanks for your help!

-Cameron

I'm no expert on all of this but I believe a replacement for the Ad Hoc designer has been created in the commercial "enterprise" edition of BI. Whether this replacement will ever find it's way into the community edition I don't know but I haven't seen any indication of it thus far.

As you get further into this you're apt to find that Ad Hoc is fairly limited anyway and that you will probably have to include the desktop Report Designer in your plans one way or another.

I'll let someone else comment on the permissions question as we're using the system in a somewhat different manner.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply. I actually have realized how limited it is already, but that's okay as long as I can get the permissions sorted out. I'll continue to evaluate. Thanks.