Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Communications Exception

Default Communications Exception

Hi,

Few days ago i setup bi-server. One day after the setup , when i entered to the system The web server threw alert "FilesToolbar begin".
    In the pentaho.log i got this Error :

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: The last packet successfully received from the server was * milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 54,522,249 milliseconds ago. is longer than the server configured value of 'wait_timeout'. You should consider either expiring and/or testing connection validity before use in your application, increasing the server configured values for client timeouts, or using the Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem.

I changed the configuration of pentaho.xml and added the autoReconnect=True for the hibernate and quartz connection string

The error still happen. when i reset the system it works fine, but after few hours the error happen agian

Any suggestions how to solve this problem?
    Thanks!

Hey,

You have to add something extra to your server C3PO. the problem is that after 8h of inactivity mysql closes the connection to the hibernate and quartz database. and this will cause the application to fail when a user performs an action after those 8 hours of inactivity. C3PO is an open source system that keeps connections allive with a mysql database.

more info here : http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Serv...ring+for+MySQL

Greetz,
    Hans

Thanks!
    works like magic!

Hi, I have a similar problem with pentaho 4.1 running against Oracle 11G, I'm assuming the fix above is only for MySQL, is there an equivalent for Oracle?

many Thanks

Geoff

Dear hansva,

After using C3PO, the problem inactivety can be solved.However, I have new issue that I have too many connection without uses after using C3PO, how can I fix this problem ?