Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can Pentaho do this?

Default Can Pentaho do this?

Hello everyone,

I wish to return to Pentaho. Last time I used it was like 4 years ago...
    Before starting, I would like to know if the following points are posible, because they are crucial to me:

1. Is it posible to show a prompt before executing a report so you can filter the data shown? for example, select a region and then and only then the report executes showing only that region

2. Is it possible to create a report/Analysis where two different grids appear at the same time? Like running two reports at the same time

3. Is it possible to execute a report showing "real time" values? I would guess this is the same as 1 but selecting "Today" in the prompt.

Thanks for your help

Default bi-server 3.8

hi

all ur doubts are possible go ahead.....

regards
    Neethu

Default Editions

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your answer. One las thing:
    Are these posible with the Community Edition or only with the Enterprise Edition?

This is how I do it (prompt+areas, on CDE there is a refresh parameter on the prd I havent used it):
    CDE: http://interestingittips.wordpress.c...aph-dashboard/
    PRD: http://interestingittips.wordpress.c...port-designer/
    Have fun building your own with pentaho!

Default Prompts

Thank you, the links you share are really helpful.

In the PRD link, it is explained how to create a parameter so data will be filtered. However, I understand the first the report executes with all data and then you can filter the data with the parameter.

What happens if I have a large Fact table with 240 months (20 years) and I only want to select one? With the parameter solution, the report will first execute for the 240 months, which may take a long time, and after that the user can select the required month. Is there a way to prompt for the month first and then the report executes only for that month?

If it is not possible, the parameters with filtered source querys will be a good workaround.

Thanks

You can do two things
    1. Send dummy parameters on a fisrt query.
    2. Modify the parameters to avoid an autosubmit.
    (its in the article somewhere)
    Check a previuos PRD article for references to great blog articles. The link for this, installation and customization is in here.

Quote Originally Posted by avo_liao View Post
    Thank you, the links you share are really helpful.

In the PRD link, it is explained how to create a parameter so data will be filtered. However, I understand the first the report executes with all data and then you can filter the data with the parameter.

What happens if I have a large Fact table with 240 months (20 years) and I only want to select one? With the parameter solution, the report will first execute for the 240 months, which may take a long time, and after that the user can select the required month. Is there a way to prompt for the month first and then the report executes only for that month?

If it is not possible, the parameters with filtered source querys will be a good workaround.

Thanks
    On the master-report object you can find a option to set "auto-submit" to false. At that point your report does not process the data until you actually hit "submit".
    As a alternative, you can define a hidden parameter with a post-processing-formula. Set this one to mandatory and of type "String". Then have a formula that checks whatever condition you need to make a report valid (for instance, no more than 10 months selected) and return NA() if the condition is not met, and a static text ("passed" for instance) if the condition is met.

Before the report is run, the parameter validator then checks whether all mandatory parameter have a value. As NA() is treated as <null>, this hidden parameter violates the rule and therefore the reporting engine returns an parameter-error and asks the user to enter valid values.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.