Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: CDE2 - Feature requests

Lightbulb CDE2 - Feature requests

If someone started to work on wild desires, what would those be?

I'll tell you the first:

- Visual designer for the layout panel
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Default Features

-Some type of search engine for components
    -Copy & Past layout components
    -Availavility of functions we help to develop some specific parts of a dashboard, for example: sparklines & indicators in rows of table component, format tooltips, etc
    -Gallery of themes

Thanks

It's already pretty sweet, looking forward to more refinements. Here's my list of nice to haves

I'll second this one:
    - Copy & Paste layout components

- Tablecomponent with totals on numeric columns. Built-in basics would be great sum,max,min,count,avg
    - Line chart with 2 y-axes
    - Option to edit lists manually instead of with the gui. Eg: column attributes in a table component. To "insert" a new column in a large table I find it easier to edit the cdfde and adjust column size, header, and format lists.
    - Default value assignment component. I use a lot of data-driven defaults. For each default value I make a new qry, a default parameter, it's own select comp, and then a pre-exec js in the actual parameter's select comp (Maybe there's already a better way to do this). Would be cool to have one single line query with all my defaults and assign them all in one place.

Hello pmalves,

I would like that it include charts compatibles with browsers like IE7 and superior, just like "pentaho-fc-plugin" that offer wide compatibility from browsers for dashboards.

These are my wish list:
    1)Data Submission component(for online forms data capture)
    2)Advance statistics componet that can integrate R or simulate its features
    3)Packaging or Integrating component that will help in migration of app build in CTOOLS to JAVA web app as archive
    4)More samples and showcases to reveal CTOOLS capability like PDI or PRD
    Last edited by bidev; 02-04-2012 at 09:19 PM.

I would like that it include charts compatibles with browsers like IE7 and superior, just like "pentaho-fc-plugin" that offer wide compatibility from browsers for dashboards.

Not sure why you mention that - but CCC supports IE6 - IE8. And this thread is specifically about CDE, the Designer part
    Pedro Alves

Quote Originally Posted by bidev View Post
    These are my wish list:
    1)Data Submission component(Like data capture like online forms)
    2)Advance statistics componet that can integrate R or simulate its features
    3)Packaging or Integrating component that will help app build in CTOOLS to make it working in other web apps
    4)More samples and showcases to reveal CTOOLS capability like PDI or PRD
    Hey there - excellent suggestions, even though they don 't apply to this thread, which asks about CDE's editor capabilities. But on the scope of 2), we're working on it!!
    Pedro Alves

better/simpler handling of chart components layout - for example legend positioning/alignment, chart/axis size

Hi,

I have only been using ctools for about a month and so probably not found out all the options yet so sorry if this is something that can already be done. CDE is an awesome tool and there is quite a bit to try out.

It would be really helpful to have a little more control over table headings. For example when presenting a bunch of KPI's or something like this on a dashboard it would be handy to merge the headings for several columns or to have two rows in the header (i.e. title merged across several columns and subtitles).

The ability to re-use user created components across dashboards rather than re-create them. I.e. I create a particular table / chart set which can be saved and referenced from other dashboards.

Thanks,
    James

A drag and drop editor on top of the current CDE framework would be really cool; sizing and placing elements in the actual dashboard view.
    Instead of starting with a specified layout, start placing components to the final dashboard view (and define the needed properties and data sources). So it would be a kind of a frontend view to CDE. It could still provide the same elements as the current CDE and those could be modified in that view as well? Selecting data could largely take place through integrated Saiku & CDA wizards.

Thanks for all the great stuff by Webdetails! Really looking forward to CDC as well :-)

BR,
    Sami

What a GREAT request! I Love being able to submit feedback to the creators of something wonderful when they 1. want it and 2. will use it!

Here's my lists.

Needed Badly
    1. Copy and Paste of components (Layout, Charts, Parameters, Data connections)
    2. User definable Grouping/Nesting for organization, not just structure.
    3. Advanced Tutorials on all components.
    4. Dynamic method of searching and using Scripting Functions.
    5. Themes for Charts - Setup a color scheme, text style etc. and then on the charts, pick the theme to use.
    6. Easy way to define the CDA Cache times - For example, I have a PDI job which runs daily at midnight, Once the data is refreshed, and the SQL query ran, it would be nice not to have the full query run again after an hour but pull from the cache thus speeding up response times.
    7. Tutorials on how to use every component including all the different functions which would work with them.

Would be Cool
    1. Graphical Node editor (similar to the node editor in Blender) for creating linkages between all components.
    2. MDX Script Creator - Not everyone is a MDX genius and could use help...
    3. Pickable/Custom Skins (some people don't like the dark) (The dark site reminds me of my game playing/clan days)

That's all I can think of right now. If I come up with more I'll be back.

Thanks,
    John_F

Arrow

Thought of some more...

NEEDED REALLY BADLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE 10+ Components on a page

1. Structured Groups for different components - For Dashboards where there are multiple parameters, multiple data sources multiple click actions and multiple exports, keeping track of everything is VERY difficult. If there was a way to create a group of objects, parameters, data sources, charts, buttons, exports, selects, etc. Have them all work off a common name and then be able to copy the whole group and do some renaming to get another similar component.

More Cool Ideas
    1. Report creation and Export - be able to use CDE2 to create reports and embed them for export or schedule them (similar to PRD but with the CDE style)
    2. Able to adjust the size of the CDE property pop-up boxes - When you click on a setting that brings up the nicely styled pop-up box, sometimes args/values are longer than the view allows to see. With more than 5 items in use, it starts to get complicated to see everything and would be great if we were able to drag the corner of the popup to make it bigger.

Thanks!
    John_F
    Last edited by tazmon95; 02-15-2012 at 08:01 PM.

One more thought

I would ideally like to be able to set the y/x axis scales to log scales. (did have a look through the forums, but I guess this is something that is not available yet...)

Default My wish list

1) I would like to see more documentation
    2) An interface that would allow the end user to edit the dashboard
    3) Alerts - monitoring KPI's on the dashboard to have a notification component (E-mail, Tweet, Audible)
    4) A UI closer to the M/Soft and OpenOffice charting forms (for end user editing)

Sorry to add another one, but access to the full dataset from tool tip and click functions would be handy.

Quite often I want to be able to display additional information in the tool tip than that which is used to generate a chart. e.g. in a time series chart showing sales I might add the % change from the last period which would be in an additional column in the data set.

Quote Originally Posted by jswinnerton View Post
    Sorry to add another one, but access to the full dataset from tool tip and click functions would be handy.

Quite often I want to be able to display additional information in the tool tip than that which is used to generate a chart. e.g. in a time series chart showing sales I might add the % change from the last period which would be in an additional column in the data set.
    This is possible already, you can get the query state and get whatever info you need

(and suggestions are never too much)
    Pedro Alves

Default Enhacement Which might required.

Hi ,

if we can include the below features then it will big plus

(1) Gradient effect in Bar and Pie chart , not a flash charts because its not work in the iphone.(I know for this we need to go for d3.js but still it would be great)
    (2) Horizontally scrollable "Bar chart" to show more then TOP*N record.
    (3) Export to PDF and excel with use of use.
    (4) Rather than showing common busy logo , if we can put individual process logo then it would be great.

Thanks
    Pranav
    Last edited by Lakhani_pranav; 02-27-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Another thing that would be really nice would be the ability to cancel a dashboard load. On any dashboard that takes more than 10 seconds to load, there have been multiple times I realized I made a mistake on the parameters I chose and wanted to cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by tazmon95 View Post
    Another thing that would be really nice would be the ability to cancel a dashboard load. On any dashboard that takes more than 10 seconds to load, there have been multiple times I realized I made a mistake on the parameters I chose and wanted to cancel.
    While we can certainly implement something like this, it would never cancel the underlying statements - you need to take care not to overload the db
    Pedro Alves

Hi,

Would like to have highcharts as a default component.

Ashiff

I wish just only that somebody answers at my thread:
    I’d like to know how to create a dashboard that uses a mondrian cube and not simple SQL queries.

Is it also possible in MDX queries use a paramater as for SQL queries? Where is a tutorial for that?

1) http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...-cda&highlight

Thank you really much for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by pmalves View Post
    While we can certainly implement something like this, it would never cancel the underlying statements - you need to take care not to overload the db
    Well, you can try. The reporting datasources you use in CDA allow you to cancel the query. Some JDBC drivers are actually smart enough to honor your request and kill the query on the server. As long as you do not do updates in your queries, you should not upset your DBA with that.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Default d3.js support

Hello, how about adopting d3.js for data visualization. I've read that protovis is no longer under active development.

We are developing protovis. d3 is amazing, but we can't adopt a solution that doesn't work in legacy IE
    Pedro Alves

Hi,

We would like to see a drag-and-drop page builder in CDE. Featurs of the builder are:
    - Drag and drop Components
    - Autogenerated HTML and CSS
    - Autogenerated HTML and CSS can be edited in the Layout panel
    - Preview of page (WYSIWYG)

A lot of people that are not well versed in coding but have a good eye for design should benefit greatly from the page builder.

Thanks,
    Rafiek

We are developing protovis. d3 is amazing, but we can't adopt a solution that doesn't work in legacy IE
    I gotta say I disagree with this statement. I'd suggest that you keep in the Protovis component like it is for those who want to develop for outdated browsers. But you shouldn't limit your development to a outdated library based on our desire for legacy support.

Feel free to disagree and start converting it

But until now there's absolutely 0 functional reasons in terms of features to do the switch. Switching just to be on the "hype train" is not an argument
    Pedro Alves

Well, of course some WYSIWYG tool would be awesome.
    In my opinion, CDE could be a standalone tool (like PRD) and we would publish the dashboards

Also, 3D charts integration would be great (although not directly related to CDE I agree)

I just spent some time figuring out how to display a session variable in the dashboard. So something to make this more civilized would be nice. Maybe something like:

HtmlSubituteComponent, with the following attributes
    - Selector: a jQuery selector expression, like #companyName, that specifies the html elements that will be substituted.
    - parameters: parameters to be used in SubstituteText attribute
    - SubstutiteText: arbitrary text that will be substituted into the selected elements. The text can include parameters substitution as in a query.

Feel free to disagree and start converting it
    If I had just 1/100th of the skill you and the rest of the WebDetails team have at the coding part, I might attempt this. Until I get to that point though, trying to attempt this is would probably be an exercise in futility in my already impossibly overcrowded schedule. You at least know the foundation and what would need to happen.

But until now there's absolutely 0 functional reasons in terms of features to do the switch. Switching just to be on the "hype train" is not an argument
    "Hype Train" I disagree that d3 is all hype. I see it more like Windows. Are you going to keep developing software for XP or are you going to look to Windows 7 or 8 for future development. From the examples I've seen of d3, it raises the bar on what is possible for a slick user interface and a rich user experience on the charts. I have to admit that when I take my Protovis charts into meetings they don't look as polished as the charts other departments have. The part I do have though through the use of Pentaho and CDE is a slick user interface that allows me to quickly get the answer to any question posed to me in real time and I can allow everyone in the meeting to do the same. Something no one else has. From initial looks though, the d3 charts would raise the looks of my charts to the same level and with the usability, would easily make this the standard in my company for charting and presentation.

Smile D3 support

http://jeffpflueger.com/content/d3-d...ernet-explorer

D3 appears to be easier to debug and expand upon than protovis.
    The above link addresses IE8, IE7 compatibility workarounds. (using jquery, and Raphael).
    Are there larger obstacles in the way of having a d3 version of charts next to the protovis version of the charts?

OutputIndex support in DataSources.

This is more or less a CDF/CDA request, though it of course impacts CDE, and perhaps it is already done (though it doesn't seem as though it works that way): simultaneous execution of datasources. Right now it would appear as though only one request is processed at a time in the order the component is encountered.

Thanks!

Hiya !

Just started using pentaho again. Just got to say .. wow !

A small request would be to categorizing the advanced properties and expanding it with more properties.

Maybe this is going to be one of those "no, impossible" ones, but I'm running into a wall with CDA. I simply can't implement ad-hoc sorting with the CDA datasources in prpts.

So, a dynamic parameter replacement argument format like @{p_order_by}.

I know the sorting of huge datasets isn't something anyone in their right mind wants to layer in and obviously that shouldn't be included in CDA.

However enabling the ability to adjust the query before execution would be nice, even if it is going to disallow the caching mechanism of CDA on dynamic queries.

Right now I'm going to have to shift any number of queries in my cda files into the prpt files (JDBC Custom) in order to support ad-hoc sorting. I love cda because it allows me to have a centralized repository of queries I can just go into and text edit.
    Last edited by flamierd; 11-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.

That's not impossible - it's simply not a cda problem. CDA allows for sending a flag in the url to determine the sortBy, but as you said it's not suited for huge datasets

Like you said, it's not also a field that can be tuned into a prepared statement (per JDBC rules), so string manipulation is the way to go for sql using custom jdbc.

Or you can use kettle or other datasources like mondrian
    Pedro Alves

I'm just lazy I guess. I didn't know about sortBy, it's a bit underdocumented. I just crawled through SortTableModel to see how to use it. ColumnNumber+'D' if you want descending.

So I put in a feature request for Reporting. I'm doubtful they'll actually get around to it. I don't know if putting some sort of additional logic to also recognize 'paramsortBy=' would be doable, or paramaddSortBy...or something that 'probably' wouldn't be used by 99.9% of users just so sortBy params could sneak through and be recognized. I suppose I could add it and recompile CDA, but maintaining that is a real pita.
    Last edited by flamierd; 11-14-2012 at 05:01 PM.

How about an editor that is a little less buggy?

For example, frequently it doesnt let you scroll down far enough to see the bottom line, so the workaround is to always leave white space at the bottom. And its habbit of always closing quotes is downright annoying!

I'd love to copy&paste the CDE components. Many times I want the same chart properties like labels, font, colors etc but different datasource.
    Also it would be useful to have tooltip documentation of the many properties you can control. Maybe I could contribute adding these descriptions for those tootltips.
    Keep up the good work
    Last edited by elkarel; 02-08-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: explain myself better

I'd like a post processing shim in sprintfWrapper or perhaps in the format strings (probably be more logical there) such that I can go ahead and change formatting from -$%d to ($%d).

looking at the method it shouldn't be too hard to handle with a @ code or something along those lines in the column formatting strings of the CDE table component. Right now I'm just post processing it based on columnx class.

---Pedro can you delete this message since obviously I should have just posted it in its own thread.
    Last edited by flamierd; 03-14-2013 at 09:16 AM.

You can build a addin for the tableComponent
    Pedro Alves