Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Null pointer exception in strange place in tableOutput

Default Null pointer exception in strange place in tableOutput

Hi,

Saw this in our test env last night, one off failure, it seems to be fine now. But looked at the code and it seems odd that it could happen? Any ideas?

Here is the exception from the log, it's all it shows:

ERROR 13-03 17:16:46,593 - T_OPERATORS - java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableoutput.TableOutput.processRow(TableOutput.java:86)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:50)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Version is PDI 4.3.0 taken from CI about a week ago. Not that this file has changed for eons anyway..Dan

Hey Dan, i think it may be incidental that the error was surfacing on the Table Output step.
    This line of code seems to imply that either getInputRowMeta() returned null, which it shouldn't, or data was null, which it should not be. Can you provide the surrounding log? I.e. was this happening at initialization time, in a subtransformation, after x rows were processed successfully, etc? The code seems to indicate that it failed on the first row the step saw... Maybe the configuration of the step would be interesting too...

Cheers
    Slawo
    Last edited by slawomir.chodnicki; 03-14-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks Slawo!
    It does look like it was during initialisation, here's the preceeding log entries:

INFO 13-03 17:16:46,340 - T_OPERATORS - Connected to database [rbt4all_dwh] (commit=1000)INFO 13-03 17:16:46,363 - T_PROMOTIONS - Connected to database [rbt4all_dwh] (commit=1000)INFO 13-03 17:16:46,590 - SRE_NL_PROD - Finished reading query, closing connection.ERROR 13-03 17:16:46,592 - T_OPERATORS - Unexpected error
    I dont think there is anything odd about the step config. And this step/transformation ran perfectly fine in PROD last night and has been doing for ages. So i suspect it's some sort of really nasty timing issue?

Yes, I'd think so too. Please keep us posted if something similar occurs again, and maybe we can close-in on a repro-path. I'd like to identify and squash timing/concurrency issues as quickly as possible. They are a pain to debug

Cheers
    Slawo

PS: Dan, any chance there is something interesting going on after the first NPE? Maybe the log lines got out of order and subsequently logged exceptions were the root cause of the hiccup...
    Last edited by slawomir.chodnicki; 03-14-2012 at 05:47 AM.

FYI: We got another case that might be related: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-8998