Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Type II dimension unexpected behavior / possible bug

Default Type II dimension unexpected behavior / possible bug

Step: Dimension lookup/update
    Version: 4.2.0

I'm getting an unexpected result when using a Stream Datefield. The problem is that I'm unable to guarantee the order in which things are processed.

Suppose I have 3 rows of source data processed in this order for the same lookup value:
    1. a row with a date of '2012-01-01'
    2. a row with a date of '2012-01-10'
    3. a row with a date of '2012-01-05'

When it gets to processing the 3rd row, it finds the current dimension row where from_date and to_date straddle 2012-01-05, which is the dimension row associated with first row above. It sets that row's date_to to the new rows date_from, but sets the new row's date_to to 2199-12-31 instead of 2012-01-10. The end result is 2 dimension rows for the same lookup value with overlapping date_from/date_to date ranges.

Thanks,
    Chris

Out of order dimension updates are simply not supported.

yes, that sounds slightly strange. it almost sounds like you already have dimensional data coming in the stream? I've never come across that, For me each row is always unique in all my dimension update scenarios. An interesting one this!

It happens a lot with shoddy data quality, for example if you get data from multiple systems with different clocks. In that case the "date of last update" is often incorrect (or plain wrong, using a different definition for "changed" or whatever). In all these cases it's best to leave the field empty to use the system date.

The idea is that we have massive amounts of data with datetimes going back many years that would take months to load. For business reasons we wanted to start loading current data and then slowly back load older data. Thanks for the quick response though. I can work around it if it's something that's just not supported.

I guess you could theoretically insert a new surrogate key between 2 natural keys and split a validity range.

tk pk from to
    1 1 -oo +oo

then

tk pk from to
    1 1 -oo 2011/12/31
    2 1 2011/12/31 +oo

then

tk pk from to
    1 1 -oo 2010/05/14
    3 1 2010/05/14 2011/12/31
    2 1 2011/12/31 +oo

The difficulty would be to
    1. Detect that a row needs to be inserted between 2 others
    2. Modify 3 rows instead of 2
    Performance might take a serious nosedive unless you want to load complete data sets in memory.

Then there are obviously also considerations wrt to fact tables, aggregates and so on.

But... despite everything it still is an interesting idea.