Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to build plugin in Report Designer

Default How to build plugin in Report Designer

Hi,
    Can anyone provide me the info to implement a new plugin in Report Designer. If you can share any link which contains the required info is also great.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Gokula

Hi,
    Could anyone provide relevant links/docs if any.

thank you in advance.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Gokula

What do you want it to do? There isn't a plugin mechanism in reporting. The approach may be to use PDI as a datasource and do your plugin there if your plugin is at the data source level?

Hi,
    Thank you for your response, I want to added a new functionality in the report designer. The functionality could be accessed through the File -> new MenuItem ( this would work as how the publish function is accessed for example).
    I want to added a new menu item and on clicking on the new menu item the implementation would get executed and displays the status. please help me how to go about it.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Gokula

There is a module system in place. You define a module, add it to your classpath and register its implementation on the global configuration (report-designer.properties file). This then initializes the module and allows it to inject itself into the report designer. This is how all datasources are coming in, how Table-of-contents and charts and even the platform-integration works.

The whole process is as complex or as simple as writing a Kettle-plugin - and there is no need to go through kettle to write a datasource, as the many existing plugins show.

Will Gorman's book covers that extension mechanism quite extensively, otherwise: The source of the existing modules is not hard to read too.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.