Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: When will we get support for external stylesheets?

Default When will we get support for external stylesheets?

There are many posts about "Does PRD have CSS support?", external stylesheets, etc. I read the argument that PRD handles styles slightly different than CSS ... ok, fine, but why does this prevent somebody from creating a PRD version of external stylesheets as a first step? JasperReports and BIRT have their own version of external style sheets as well, so why can PRD not have it? Frankly, maintaining many reports without external stylesheets is a pain. Also, redefining the same style for every element within one report is even time consuming [yeah, I know, there is the copy format function, but it's not the same]. So, if there is no JIRA case yet [which I doubt] I am happy to create one. Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Diddy
    Last edited by diddy; 05-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    Visit my Pentaho blog which offers some tutorials mainly on Kettle, Report Designer and Mondrian
    ===============

There is a JIRA case, the question would how to schedule it: after the bug-fixes and crosstabs or before that? There is only so and so much time to implement new features, so some things have to wait.

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PRD-3081
    http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PRD-3009

As far as I can tell, this all comes in the next release, as thanks to crosstabs the guts of the layout-system are already open and bleeding for major surgery.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Many thanks for the reply. Not to be any negative here, but crosstabs have been promised for years ... so stylesheets are up for the same destiny? Once again, stylesheets don't have to be CSS based at first. If it is faster to add a homebrewed version of stylesheets, then that should be the first step. CSS support can be added later on. I'll open a new JIRA for this.
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    Visit my Pentaho blog which offers some tutorials mainly on Kettle, Report Designer and Mondrian
    ===============

New JIRA ticket create, add your vode: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PRD-3823
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    ===============

Quote Originally Posted by diddy View Post
    Many thanks for the reply. Not to be any negative here, but crosstabs have been promised for years ... so stylesheets are up for the same destiny? Once again, stylesheets don't have to be CSS based at first. If it is faster to add a homebrewed version of stylesheets, then that should be the first step. CSS support can be added later on. I'll open a new JIRA for this.
    As a developer with 59 hungry children to feed at home, I have to make hard decisions every day.

Agreed, crosstabs have been on the list way to long. But: Crosstabs do not pay my children's food. Bug-fixes do. Bug-fixes means a paying customer that has a solution running today is able to derive value from our software. That means, he is very likely to renew his support contract. This means Pentaho is able to send me some money to feed those hungry mouths.

From February 2010 (Release 3.6) to now (Release 3.9) I can find 820 closed cases, each of them a customer being made happy (or at least stopped from being overly unhappy).

Each time I work on bug-fixes I do not work on crosstabs. Even though crosstabs is my active focus for new development since March 2011, I spent most time on bug-fixes and customer-requested improvements. This is a totally normal process when resources are severely limited - you choose where your energy is most usefully used.

Up until earlier this year, I have not had the time to actually do serious coding on the crosstab problem (and more specifically on the layout-calculations involved in it).

There are two ways to speed up the process:

(1) I work longer hours, neglecting my 67 kids at home, burning out in the process.

or

(2) Community members with vested interest in Pentaho Reporting jump in and help taking some load off my back.
    That could be anything from bug-fixes, to feature implementation to simple cases like testing bugs and providing replication paths for existing bugs (so that I don't spend roughly half of my time preparing to fix the bug) or helping with documentation.

I can assure you that the burnout route is not possible for me. My 74 children at home would not be happy with that.

But assuming a potential contributor wants to jump in and needs a bit of guidance on where to start - now then we are talking and I am happy to lend a helping hand.
    Being cynical towards the one guy who keeps up the development does not help a single bit. So step up, or step aside.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

given the number of children, i'm not sure you should really be going near any areas of code involving "calculations" ;p)

Certainly, a single person cannot implement all these new requests in a short amount of time, and I think I suggested last year that you could try to get some more developers on board of your project. I am sure there are some people out there who would like to contribute to PRD. Maybe there is something that could be done to attract more developers for PRD. Having more people on board will enable fixing the bugs and implementing new features quicker (which in the end might help winning customers that might have opted for another solution).
    Best regards,
    Diethard
    ===============
    ===============

Aye, prudent idea. However, at this point in time my schedules are tight. I am working the limited time I have on delivering the crosstab case. Even in case everything works out smoothly here, this case is large enough to keep me busy right up to the scheduled release date of PRD-4.0 and BI-Server's Sugar release.

There are many things that can be done with enough time.

Lowering the barrier of entry would be the first thing. That means: Cleaning out of crusted methods to make it easy to add new modules, datasources and xml-support. Documentation (even though much of that is already covered in Will's book, not everyone buys it). Adding samples (dummy modules, datasources etc).

I have seen only sparse involvement from our partners and community, which can mean either that the project is not accessible enough for them to write and contribute code, or they have no issues severe enough that justify spending time on reporting issues. So I need to be going out to the various non-pentaho communities to attract developers with need for reporting (doing the JasperReports strategy - build simple integrations to every system we can find).

Finding more contributors and extending the community will be a long time job and will take more time than I have over the next 6 month. Hopefully by that time Pentaho will find another developer to free me to actually do this promotional side of the job.